It's September

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few months ago, it was possible to comfortably see outdoors at 4:15 in the morning.

Now,

it is 5:30 and too dark to see anything but the stars.

i know, i'm not ready for this season to end yet, but i would like it a bit cooler for a few more weeks.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always told myself that I would put out my fall wreath and fake pumpkins out on September 1 but that doesn't happen. They get out more like mid November!

Well this time I remembered but it just felt wrong putting fall decorations out when we are having a heat wave! :D

Mary

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A few months ago, it was possible to comfortably see outdoors at 4:15 in the morning.

Now,

it is 5:30 and too dark to see anything but the stars.
Yeah, it isn't fun. But then I think of the poor people in Alaska and the rest of the Far North (and South, I guess) who have to deal with totally losing the light for weeks on end (and then losing the dark for weeks on end at the other end of the year). At least down here we get SOME of each every 24 hours!

I've always told myself that I would put out my fall wreath and fake pumpkins out on September 1 but that doesn't happen. They get out more like mid November!

Well this time I remembered but it just felt wrong putting fall decorations out when we are having a heat wave! :D

Mary
It's kind of weird here with regards to Fall decorations. The pumpkins are beginning to come in and the gourds will soon follow, but it will still be nearly 4-6 weeks before there is any chance of seeing any ornamental corn (well, any that hasn't been trucked up from Mexico, which usually isn't nice enough looking for my taste), which is the part I ACTUALLY care about (since I use that fall corn crop to get seeds to breed with the next spring.)

Actually, the change in when things get hot and cold is really beginning to have a bad effect overall, because the distance between pumpkin season and corn season keeps getting longer and longer so that, if I see a nice pumpkin I think will look good outside my house as part of the lineup, by the time the corn is available, the pumpkin will often have spoiled and gone moldy, and I'll need another one (and since I am as picky about my pumpkins as everything else, that's not an easy task.) A least the gourds have a chance of drying out in the time (though by that point, they tend to have either lost their color or mold has begun to eat at the thin layer of flesh over the shell, so not great there either.)

Actually, I suspect most of the corn I DO see in the fall came from LAST year, since the local crop often now isn't ready until early December, long after it is salable. This wouldn't be a problem, except the local places are REALLY bad about storing the corn over the year, so half of it is either moldy or chewed to bits by rodents or insects (thats why I have no full ears of that miniature flour/dent corn I like to play around with, by the time I got my hands on it, it had been in storage for so long that every ear was infested with grain moths, and I had to take them all apart and yank out the compromised kernels to save the intact ones.) I'd think of saving a few nice ears myself to get me ahead, but corn gets so brittle after a year or two of drying.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it isn't fun. But then I think of the poor people in Alaska and the rest of the Far North (and South, I guess) who have to deal with totally losing the light for weeks on end (and then losing the dark for weeks on end at the other end of the year). At least down here we get SOME of each every 24 hours!

It's kind of weird here with regards to Fall decorations. The pumpkins are beginning to come in and the gourds will soon follow, but it will still be nearly 4-6 weeks before there is any chance of seeing any ornamental corn (well, any that hasn't been trucked up from Mexico, which usually isn't nice enough looking for my taste), which is the part I ACTUALLY care about (since I use that fall corn crop to get seeds to breed with the next spring.)

Actually, the change in when things get hot and cold is really beginning to have a bad effect overall, because the distance between pumpkin season and corn season keeps getting longer and longer so that, if I see a nice pumpkin I think will look good outside my house as part of the lineup, by the time the corn is available, the pumpkin will often have spoiled and gone moldy, and I'll need another one (and since I am as picky about my pumpkins as everything else, that's not an easy task.) A least the gourds have a chance of drying out in the time (though by that point, they tend to have either lost their color or mold has begun to eat at the thin layer of flesh over the shell, so not great there either.)

Actually, I suspect most of the corn I DO see in the fall came from LAST year, since the local crop often now isn't ready until early December, long after it is salable. This wouldn't be a problem, except the local places are REALLY bad about storing the corn over the year, so half of it is either moldy or chewed to bits by rodents or insects (thats why I have no full ears of that miniature flour/dent corn I like to play around with, by the time I got my hands on it, it had been in storage for so long that every ear was infested with grain moths, and I had to take them all apart and yank out the compromised kernels to save the intact ones.) I'd think of saving a few nice ears myself to get me ahead, but corn gets so brittle after a year or two of drying.
Get a fake pumpkin then it will be perfect and not mold haha.

Mary

Latest posts