It's the little things..

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
CANE!! My Mother made that SAME pear/lettuce salad. She dumped supper out of a can. I never knew that steak came any other way other than chicken fried hard enough to strap on the bottom of my shoe and wear it for a year. I left home at 17 and discovered food.....steak, medium rare, I never knew.....WOW.

And my Daddy gardened always. Tomatoes, potatoes, okra, eggplant, corn, so we did have some real food when the garden was in.

That is so funny about that pear salad. Mom always put it on the table with a flourish like she actually peeled and cooked that pear. LOL LOL

I never let my Mom teach me how to cook. I didn't know any better, but I Knew I didn't want to cook what she did. She made this dried shaved beef in a white flour gravy glop and plopped it on toast. She called it dried beef, Daddy called it Sh!t on a Shingle and scarfed it down. I called it gross and refused to eat it.

Older women showed me how to cook, how to put peas and corn in the freezer, how to can, how to make bread, I was mentored by friends and neighbors. Now, every chance I get, I pass on the knowledge that was passed on to me.

I know what you mean about something simple like a recipe like this that just makes your day. Good food-REAL food is not the normal these days, it is the exception.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should make some up and freeze a couple cans worth of it for a test. If it separates a little when thawing stir it together when cooking like journey suggested. No one will know but you

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you click on it, it will open in a new tab. That image is larger.

yeah, i saw that later... :)

@baymule yes, reminds me of how Mom cooked steak when i was a kid, broiled until dried out. ick. i liked the crunchy fat around the edge, luckily she learned.

i'm always amazed that people won't cook even simple things. it's not really that hard to eat well and much better to avoid all the added gunk. i was reading a can of soup the other day before giving it away and it had titanium dioxide in it. yeah, i know what for, but yeesh...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Retired now, but I put in my time working and cooking for my family. It takes a little planning, but it was worth the extra effort to serve good food. There is no excuse for the garbage most families eat. Our daughter has a friend that never cooks, they eat out almost every meal. Finally their daughters have gotten old enough to start cooking because they get tired of eating out all the time.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Retired now, but I put in my time working and cooking for my family. It takes a little planning, but it was worth the extra effort to serve good food. There is no excuse for the garbage most families eat. Our daughter has a friend that never cooks, they eat out almost every meal. Finally their daughters have gotten old enough to start cooking because they get tired of eating out all the time.
For a minute I thought your daughter's friend was Nyboy but then I realized that she had daughters. So I knew it couldn't be him. ;)

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
HAHAHA - no SERIOUSLY! :oops:
I was RAISED on food that came out of a can or a box. The only thing I ever saw being made 'fresh' was hamburger being browned to go into hamburger helper. OH, and eggs. "Salad" for us was a leaf of iceberg with a half pear on it, a spoonful of mayo in the 'hole' and shredded cheese sprinkled on top. (And the lettuce leaf was there to keep the pear from sliding around.. you weren't supposed to EAT it).
For a LONG time after moving out on my own I cooked what I had grown up with. It was what I knew.
I have come a long, long way in the past 10 years or so. And I keep coming across these little things that - simply - rock my cooking world. :celebrate

SO - do you think I can make up a BUNCH of this and freeze it in roughly '1 can' amounts??? Or will it be all gross when it thaws??
Cream of squash or pumpkin will give new meaning to your life. I think it might take to freezing. You may have to whip it in a food processor if it looses it's quality.

Latest posts