Jalapenos with no bite

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got some plants this Spring at Home Depot that were just labeled jalapeno. They are beginning to bear now and I am dismayed to find they are the non hot variety. Anyone have any cooking suggestions using them? The only thing I can think of is to use them in place of bells.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They have absolutely no more bite than a bell pepper. I'd seen the seeds in catalogues but never tried them. I see no point in a non hot jalapeno.

Natalie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That's too bad. Do they still have a jalapeno flavor? You could make a mild batch of pepper jelly.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think I'll just treat them as though they were small green peppers. I have some beans cooking now. I'll try adding them in and see what it tastes like. Hopefully the back ups I planted from seed will be hot when they come in but they won't be producing till late Summer.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
hoodat said:
I see no point in a non hot jalapeno.
I'm with you there! Why have a jalapeno if it's not hot?
That's like decafeinated coffe. I still scratch my head over that one. Why bother?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's like decafeinated coffe. I still scratch my head over that one. Why bother?
Well, since you phrased that as a question, I'll respond.

1st off: a mild jalapeo can have a jalapeo flavor, even without the heat. I used to grow Mucho Nacho jalapeo. It was just toooo hot for me. I like to enjoy them in a sandwich, but I had trouble with that one. So, I went back to Jalapeo M - which I guess is a standard.

One year, I grew Fooled You. It had zero heat, which was okay, I guess. But, they'd get mixed up with the Jalapeo M during harvest. Trying to figure out what I've got later was the foolin' I didn't appreciate. Seems like with a pepper, you should know before making the commitment.

Decaf? Decaf doesn't have the flavor . . . I hope that doesn't offend anyone but it's pretty wretched to my tastes.

But, why drink it? The MD told me to quit, switch to decaf, or cut down. I've been compromising for about a year now by doing a 2:1 blend. I've tried 3 premium decafs and I'm still seriously disappointed by the flavor :/. I mean, ordinary old Folgers hi-octane or whatever has better flavor. (This morning I went 1:2 :p, but just because I messed up ;).)

Steve :)

Latest posts