Japanese beetle

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
tomato worms get huge! have you ever seen any with the parasitic bug on them? i've never seen any like that around here so i never bother to relocate. just snip them and then they become plant food when it rains.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
one mean critter I have run into before is the saddle back caterpillar! MontyJ was bit by one years ago picking corn

oh my! not seen those before... *whew* at least they're very distinctive to spot and avoid. glad i'm not likely to ever have to deal with them (no palm trees up here :) )...

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't have palm trees either. I live in West Virginia. So I'm sure you will encounter them sooner or later. Just be careful when you do.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The first few years, Japanese beetles destroyed all the blooms on my rugosa rose. Now that the rose is becoming well established, it has seemingly developed a survival strategy by blooming during the month of June and ceasing to bloom after that, so when the beetles show up in July, they can still eat the leaves, but the blossoms are safely on their way to becoming rose hips. I tried nematodes and the drowning bucket, but now I've abandoned these methods because the rose no longer seems to need my protection.

Attachments

• RugosaRose20Jun2018.JPG
    RugosaRose20Jun2018.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 261

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely!
I'm going on a beetle hunt with a pitcher of water every afternoon, but I'm not finding enough to account for all the damage. Only 10 beetles or less on a climbing rose and 5 rose of sharron shrubs. Are they morning feeders??? I tried neem oil a few days ago and see zero difference between the treated and untreated shrubs.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lovely!
I'm going on a beetle hunt with a pitcher of water every afternoon, but I'm not finding enough to account for all the damage. Only 10 beetles or less on a climbing rose and 5 rose of sharron shrubs. Are they morning feeders??? I tried neem oil a few days ago and see zero difference between the treated and untreated shrubs.

they are much easier to catch in the cool morning time. they are less active and you can grab them or knock them into the water, add just a drop or two of soap to it so they'll drown easier. often they are on the undersides of leaves so you have to see them, but often you can find them by see where the most new chewing is going on and see them through the holes in the leaves.

Latest posts