Jared77's Gardening Journal

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those rail planters look pretty and may be inexpensive for right now, however they will eventually cause dry rot/ and or termite damage in the railings due to trapped moisture between the planter and the rail . This will become quite expensive for the needed repairs. :old

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those rail planters look pretty and may be inexpensive for right now, however they will eventually cause dry rot/ and or termite damage in the railings due to trapped moisture between the planter and the rail . This will become quite expensive for the needed repairs. :old
Always gotta be a party pooper in the bunch. :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are nice tree picks Jared, those dappled willows can really be spectacular when they're mature (but they're real cute when they're little too!) and I love Prariefire crabs. I have one too, it was supposed to be a row of them down the driveway, but the others died above the graft , so they grew from the rootstocks and are just random unknowns.

(I'm guessing that those rail planters drain from the sides, not the part that sits on the rail).

You've definitely made your new place home! :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes the rail planters have a hole in them to drain if necessary. We've used them at the old house too without any issue. But those were sealed rails. The current deck will be sealed after the holiday.

Thank you Thistle we spent a lot of time looking at our options and trying to make good choices.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well this is LOOOOONG overdue.

I haven't had much to say honestly. My flowering plum looks crazy good. It's branching out and really thriving.

My weeping cherry looks good too. Some branches need go be pruned as they are dead or rubbing on healthier branches but all in all it's doing good.

My $30 maple has Anthracnose and I'm treating it so we'll see. My prairie fire crab is doing good.

I'm OVER FUNGUS!!!! I've lost 2 lilacs I bought earlier this year to it. I think I salvaged the others we'll see. It's slowed my pumpkins to a crawl I doubt Ill have pumpkins to speak of.

Cool temps with lots of rainfall have taken their toll.

Tomatoes are now coming in a fury, so are my pole beans. My glass gem corns tasseling and ears are developing. So hopefully that will turn out. I've been very impressed with it so far. It's held it's own against a less than ideal growing season. So salsa, and soup will be going up next. Already have jalapeños canned, as well as Journey's mustard recipe. (Love that stuff it's a staple here). Berries are all picked and frozen waiting to turn into jam & syrup.

I have to say I'm tickled to death with my purple beauty peppers. Beautiful peppers that the kids have fits over because they love the colors.

Still need to build the raised bed for shallots & carrots so I can get a straight carrot for my daughter. She's bummed we didn't get them in this year but with how everything was this year we just didn't have the time. Next year I HAVE to get them in.

Spent the last few days canning and prepping the deck. It's a huge deck and it had never been stained. No idea how old it was either. But 2, 12hr days of prep and I was looking at nearly new wood. Detergent and scrubbed the whole thing down and power washed that. Let it dry. Then a cleaner/bright product then power washed that. I've gotten about 90% of the first coat on and I've used 6 gallons of stain. :th

It's coming along and it's beautiful. Grain shows up really well, and I love the color. Now to finish all the spindles and get a 2nd coat on. THEN the front porch. It's smaller and covered so it's in much better shape. Get the swing up on the front porch and life will be grand.

Downside of a really big deck? Everybody wants us to entertain all the family functions.

Other than that things here have been low key. Staying busy and already making changes for next year. My rhubarbs doing good, it took some of a beating from the Jap Beatles, but it's rhubarb it will rebound.

Keep looking at potential places for some grapes and blackberries. The u pick raspberries are hit or miss here need to find a better place to pick those. NOBODY here has u pick blackberries so will have to put some in.

I was given some heirloom garlic that needs to get in, prep the area for asparagus for next year, and I think I MIGHT be ready for next season.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are coming right along with the garden and yard! About the deck.....put a cover over it and it will be practically all season! My sister and her husband have a covered deck, ummmm I think it is 1500 sq feet, with ceiling fans, a TV, radio, outdoor kitchen, a gas heater, hanging baskets, bird feeders, outdoor furniture pretty enough for anybody's living room....yeah, that's where the family gathers! In our climate, Thanksgiving and Christmas is rarely nasty-weather enough to make us stay inside!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe your deck is taking that much work and time. We just hose ours, stain it, and in a couple hours we're done.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do the kids just have fun picking the pretty peppers or will they eat them too? Ava wouldn't touch a pepper until this summer and would act insulted if she found one hidden in her salad. Then I decided to implement the "you must take at least 3 bites rule" for whatever I have fixed for dinner and she finally decided she loves the orange and yellow bell peppers and even begs me to buy her one every time we go to the store. (Would you believe I FORGOT to plant bell peppers this year? I have Marconis, but not quite the same. I am craving stuffed peppers now. LOL.)

That is such a chore, staining and sealing the deck, especially the spindles. Ours needs done too.

Glad to hear everything is coming along so well!

Latest posts