Jared77's Gardening Journal

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Close up of the front

image.jpg

image.jpg

Side and yes lots of deadheading. I try to do it every time I water so it's less of a chore and keeps the planters looking good.

image.jpg

Variegated Dappled willow that I need to plant. I really like the color

image.jpg

The swing is going up here in the next few days. Been too busy with getting everything in the ground to hang it. It was a birthday gift I gave my wife 5 or so years ago and no way I was leaving it at the old house.

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the back deck.

The deck will be stained this year too. After my daughters first birthday party which is later this month. Not looking forward to it but will be glad when it's cone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes eve more deadheading but that's the price one pays when she really wants petunias. The long pots belong on the rail just haven't gotten them up yet. We have the planters to put them in just another one of those dang time things again.

The round planters have sweet basil/cilantro in one and rosemary/thyme in the other.

The white sleeves have million bells that we found on sale and dropped in. The deck looked bare so we had to add those and probably could even add more.

The geraniums were all in pint pots for 1.33 per pot on a rack at Home Depot. Since the parties at our house a dozen dollar store pots later we planted 2 geraniums per pot and helped add color. Those were scattered around the deck but I moved them down out of concern for thunderstorms. They are cheap plastic and if blown over may crack so they are down for the moment.

Now you see why the swing hasn't been put up yet! ;)

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought was to tell you to please move the buckets so that I could see the tree better. Ha. What a great idea.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
So flower pots look beautiful. Any chance you could stain the deck before the party and put up that swing? It would look goregous! Just sayin..

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The buckets are there till the leaves change. Then depending on growth in the spring I may bring them out again. I'll deal with them now to enjoy my trees later. They have made a difference and are well worth it. There's a method to the madness.

The swings going up before the party. Weather wise I don't think I'll get the deck stained in time. I wish I could but the rains been coming frequently enough that I'm not holding out much hope on that. I REALLY want to but the reality is looking like no.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
All that flat ground and sunshine, you will be able to grow anything you want. Everything looks great! :thumbsup

That varigated willow is really cool. You have some really great choices there for your foundation plantings. The petunias are lovely too and make such a nice pop of color. (I have killed more baskets of petunias than I can count. They always dry out on me. I think I'm going to try the baby diaper trick next time.)

I like the bucket idea too. Gonna remember that next time I plant a tree. I usually wander off and forget to turn off the water hose......

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, maybe you have mentioned this and I didn't see it, but I was wondering where you purchased those roundish white rail planters that you have the gorgeous petunias in. Everything looks beautiful, BTW.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind words I'm very pleased at how it's taking shape.

All of the rail planters came from a local nursery.
http://www.apollo-plastics.com/index.html is the companies website but if you put in Home Dek decor in google you get
https://www.google.com/search?safe=...c.1.46.mobile-gws-hp..4.19.8643.3.5pByEJVhlTw which gives you a bunch of options. Amazon has them you just have to know the width of the rail you want to slide it over. The petunias are in them as well. The nice thing is no screws you just slide them over the rail and you're good to go till frost. Then I take them into the garage and save them till spring.

The other thing we do is to simply buy hanging baskets in the same diameter as the rail planter. Then the whole pot goes into the rail planter. Saves time and gives you a good jump on the season. Take off the hook and your ready to go.

The rail planters come in a variety of sizes round, oblong, rectangles, and will fit on both 4" & 6" rails. It's a great product and not expensive.

Hope this helps

Latest posts