Jared77's Gardening Journal

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was such a process because it had gone years from being cared for. I don't think it was never stained so weather took it's toll. Mildew, lichens, and weathering all took their toll. It was elephant grey when we bought the house and I knew this year it was save it or forget it.

Went from this

image.jpg

To this

image.jpg

That's the difference. Yes it's opposite sides of the deck but those are the best two pictures I have to give an accurate view of what I was up against to where I'm at now.

So far it's been just picking but we're getting there. We have a similar policy about trying new things. It's made a difference so far & we're gradually expanding our horizons.

image.jpg

Have to say I love these. The color is so striking. They are a little late getting started with the growing season we've had but they still produced well. Thats one of my purple beauty. Anything to get them interested or keep them interested.

Can't forget about picking blueberries. As you can see we take our picking "very seriously" ;)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Someone feels it's her job to get all the berries on the low branches deep into the rows. She started picking when she was 19 months

image.jpg

And this one has been picking since she was just a few weeks old. I wore my wife's front carrier wrap thingy because I wanted to go picking. Picking won out over fashion. But Im happily married with 2 girls, the SS Jared's cool ship sailed 9 yrs ago but my wife and friends will say that ship sunk a LOOOOONG time ago. The baby was totally covered up and slept. So this year I carried her this way. Strawberry picking was nice because we just set her in the middle of the patch and she ate till she fell asleep. Then moved her into the shade of a huge oak on a blanket and kept picking.

Most folks smiled at the backpack but I'm sure thought we were absolutely off our rockers. I call it "building memories and raising my girls right".

These were taken at our favorite U pick.

I LOVE the backpack. I carried my oldest in that same pack. I love it. Keeps my hands free so I'm not pushing some obnoxious stroller and cursing at things like a few stairs, or drainage ditches, or tight corners. It has a small storage pack at the back for snacks, diapers, wipes and you can see where it holds water containers too. It's totally self sufficient. Plus the metal bar on the back makes it free standing too so I simply set it down and load the child into it.

Weights on the hips the shoulder pieces are the to keep it stable. I backpacked all over the US so it's a natural fit for me. I'd seriously be lost without it. I'd rather carry my kids all day this way than 10 minutes pushing a stroller.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 229

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy days.....
28 years ago I carried my boys in a backpack everywhere. They weren't as nice in those days, but still preferable to a stroller to me. I even shopped with them in the pack (not both at the same time obviously, they're 4 years apart :p).
In fact my youngest swiped a washcloth one time when I was buying new towels in a department store. I discovered it back at the truck when I unloaded him. Had to load back up and trudge us all into the store to return it.

That's a wonderful deck Jared, and wow, what a lot of labor to restore it, but I'm sure the satisfaction of a job well done is huge.

Your girls are beautiful and I admire the way you guys choose to spend time with them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The deck looks great and it will be worth every bit of work you are putting into it.

I would say the SS Jared Cool Ship is still sailing around. Nothing any more "cool" than a Dad spending time with his beautiful children.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, you can tell by that big smile that the baby is having a great time! And how efficient to have a good helper to pick the low ones while you get the high ones. :D That backpack looks like a life-saver. So much more fun when you can bring the whole crew along. Good times!!

Your deck looks great! Big improvement! :thumbsup Mine needs done before fall too... That's definitely going on DH's honey-do list. LOL

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Makes me want to start over when you see her huge smile.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Neither do I. Kids aren't getting married any time soon. Do miss those days.

Latest posts