1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Jen's old and new Dutch garden 2019

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by thejenx, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Mar 21, 2019
    thejenx

thejenx Deeply Rooted

@digitS' I'm growing most of my tomatoes in the greenhouse hence the confusion.
    Every year I try a few plants outside, but they succumb to the cold, wet wetter most years before I get any harvest in. Last year was the first year they did great because it was such dry, hot weather.

I found the Marianna's Peace seeds at a seed trade, they were from 2006! They are behind the other but they still prouted and are small plants now! Amazing.
    I plan to plant one plant of New Yorkers in the greenhouse and the rest outside since it's an early tomato.

Thank you!

Jen

2. Mar 21, 2019
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

Tomatoes are something of a mystery to me, Jen. The wild type grows in a place that has been described as one of the driest places on Earth, in the rainshadow of the Andes. Moisture is mostly from dew, rising off the nearby Pacific. Hmmm, mountain desert right down to the ocean shore.

I did grow a tomato in the greenhouse one year. It was a monster!! Worthwhile but it captured a great deal of area for itself.

Steve

thejenx likes this.
  3. Mar 21, 2019
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

There is a woman who sells at the Farmer's Market each year and I bought tomato plants before growing my own from seed. I bought a Brandywine and I was telling her how I really liked them and how well they did. She said YOU GREW THEM OUTSIDE??? I was like, uh yeah? Any other place to grow them? She said she grows hers in the greenhouse and will have to try a Brandywine outside. Turned out the only year I really did get very many and did not grow any the last couple of years. I have some of those Walls of Water things you can put around a plant and I think I will try growing one like that.

flowerbug, thistlebloom and thejenx like this.
  4. Mar 21, 2019
    thejenx

thejenx Deeply Rooted

In the greenhouse I do need to trim plants almost every week to keep it light in there. A few always get to grow at the top and manage to spread on the top bars and get to a length of 12ft. Without trimming it would be a jungle especially because there is a peach tree in there too!

5. Mar 22, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Those W.O.W. really work great GWR. I used them last year and the tomatoes bloomed and got ripe a good 2 or 3 weeks earlier than usual.

6. Mar 22, 2019
    Gardening with Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits Garden Addicted

I have seen them at that greenhouse on Government Way in CDA. I think I have 3. I will use them this year. I mean I have seen them being used at the greenhouse. Tomato in a pot, with a W.O.W and cool outside.

thistlebloom likes this.
  7. Mar 22, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Yes, Judy's Greenhouse. :)
    That's where I saw them too and it convinced me to give them a try. They are very effective.

8. Mar 22, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I wouldn't use hay as my 1st choice for mulch. A lot of my hay is 2nd cutting and has a ton of seeds, which is good for ME to reseed the pastures, but I don't wish to reseed my vegetable beds!! You can find straw that has been rained on, too.

9. Mar 22, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I don't know exactly what kind of hay I'm getting but it doesn't reseed hardly at all. Once in a while I'll find and pull a little blade of grass but that's about it. It works for me.

Mary

thistlebloom likes this.
  10. Mar 22, 2019
    thejenx

thejenx Deeply Rooted

The trick is to keep it mulched, then seeds don't get a chance to sprout.