Job Question

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got 14 the first year and 10 a year after that. Three of the days could be used as personal days. Never seemed to take them, though. I lost a lot of sick days, because, once we acquired 100 days, our ability to accumulate them was capped. When I retired I received $5.00 for each unused day -- $490 -- that would have payed a sub for less than 5 days.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was working, I got 4 personal days a year. It is nice to have a back up like that, but it can get ridiculous, some people take advantage when there are lots of paid days off.(not like Smart Red) But on the other hand, employees sometimes need a day off to get away from work and go have fun or just sit around the house and do nothing. You, as the employer, obviously don't have such needs, that's why you are the boss. :lol:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many paid sick / personal days off do you get a year
Surely you jest !!! I have been self employed for about 40 years and I can count on one hand that I have taken off for injury/ sick days off and without pay. Miserly employer ...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm retired so I'm not sure if the correct answer is 0 or 365.

I had no idea how many sick or personal days I had available when I was working. I only took days off when I needed to and usually used a vacation day for that.

Once after I was working in Copenhagen for about a year in a project office a new person asked me what the office hours were. I had no idea even after working there for a year. I knew on Fridays they were over at 6:00 pm because the project manager would take us all to the pub and buy the first round at 5:00 about one Friday a month. He not only bought the first round, he gave everyone an extra hour off. But I had no idea when the work day started. I got there early and left late.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I get personally sick of working I take a day off. :D

Then I have to work like a mad woman to make up for it and keep everybody happy. So generally it's just better to suck it up and keep my nose to the grindstone. Then I get 4 months off in the winter, when my brain empties of all important work related information and I start the next season dumb as a box of rockso_O.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the job I receive a check at - started with 2 weeks vaca and 1 week personal. Now have 3 vaca + 1 personal.
On the 'job' I do because I love to do it (care for my little patch of land) - haven't had a day 'off' in years LOL

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also can count on 1 hand days I have taken off. One of my guys just told me he needs 2 days off this month. He has already taken off 12 days with pay, year is only half over.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make him use vaca for pay. Otherwise, no pay. Can u replace him if he leaves? Is he salary or hourly?

Latest posts