Job Question

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mother used to say, if the president of the country can be replaced so can anyone else. He has been with me over 10 years, is hard working never late. Not sure whats going on he used to take off 2 to 3 days a year. He is on salary plus tips.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While everyone is replaceable, not all replacements are equally good. Might be time to visit with him.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm on salary and after weeks of 50+ hours, I catch up with a slow day that I don't call vaca or personal. Plus if I work a Saturday-during planting/harvest-I do what is necessary. Make it up during slow times. Of course, brass is always looking for ways to take away slow times! Still expect 60-70 hour weeks during rush times. Meanwhile they do less and less. Be different if their company but they are employee like me.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Before I retired I had 6 weeks vacation 10 paid holidays and 1 personal days plus as many sick days as I needed.
Very seldom used a sick day but twice I was off for over 3 months at a time and because of me not abusing their sick day policy I was paid my full earnings each time.
Of course I retired 15 years ago and the place ain't the same now!!!!

THANX RICH

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thats about average for union companies @dickiebird. I submit final contracts for one of the locals. Average for a 10 year employee is three weeks paid vacation and 10 paid holidays. One of the companies also pays 4 personal/sick days.

It can be a hardship on smaller companies when an employee takes off, but I would hate to lose a dedicated employee.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday after work we had a talk. He was suprized at number of days taken off so far ( I had written down all days). I told him after the 2 this month he had a choice of not getting paid or taking off vation days. Bet rest of year no more days off!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was wise to write them own and wise to talk. From here I can't tell if he was really unaware of how many days it was or if he was just pushing the limits. Unless you write this stuff down you can easily lose track. As a small business and you working side by side I'm sure you want to be flexible and work with him if there is a legitimate reason, but you still have to set limits. Hope it works out for both of you.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before I retired I had 6 weeks vacation 10 paid holidays and 1 personal days plus as many sick days as I needed.
THANX RICH

Sounds like DH. After 30+ years I had zero weeks of paid vacation and 2 (Thanksgiving -- Thur. & Fri.) paid holidays. Everyone likes the sound of having all summer off, but that was 90 days without pay! In addition, I was usually paying for and taking summer school classes to improve my teaching.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red, over here teachers have the option of having their yearly salary paid over the 12 months. Most teachers do it this way, so that they can be off for the summer and still get paid.

Mary

Latest posts