Johnafree Apple Trees

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the chicken wire we've used here has eventually rusted through and didn't last very long (less than 10yrs).

i have no idea why she bought the stuff to begin with as a roll of good 6ft fence is only a few $ more for what you get and it will last quite a bit longer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't need it to last that long. My "baby trees" should be big enough in less than 5 years for me to remove the fencing AND I may want to plant some herbs/flowers at the base, which is hard to do with the wire fencing. Bear in mind that these trees are growing Next to my chicken's run so I see them every day. The metal fence posts are old and none of them has the sharp "v" on them. They should come out of the ground pretty easily, just like tent stakes, where you pound E-W-N-S until you can pull them out. I remember seeing gardeners who "root prune" their fruit trees so I am not worried about future root damage.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/prune-tree-roots-stimulate-growth-57774.html
They are now 2 inches in diameter. When they get to 4 inches diameter I COULD root prune 20 inches from the trunk, which is inside of my posts.
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/stages-of-apple-tree-growth
I may remove the metal posts next year. The wooden posts will rot into the ground and They should be solid by next year, since our base soil is clay. That will give me something to tie to, should I need to do so to keep their trunks growing straight.
They are safe enough next to the trees. They were cut last October and won't grow any roots since they sat out in the weather for almost 6 months.
I planted my Montmorency Cherry trees in what was Then my South Pasture and their trunks are about 8 inches in diameter this year. I didn't protect them, but soon after planting we refenced and they became trees in my "inner sanctum", the fenced in area in front of, and to the south of my barn and 2 outbuildings.
We have been getting heavy rains. I only deep soaked the two of them once bc I had planted too deep and needed to get them both higher bc of the root graft. I see buds growing on both. I know to keep them watered, but I will let them dry out some this summer so that they reach down with their roots.
I DID my research and NOBODY had any advice as to solving my problem: growing baby (2yo) apple trees where my horses SOMEtimes graze. Horses will get excited and run where they don't normally get turned out. They KNOW that it is special when I let them graze there. I like it bc it saves me gas and mowing time. Right now they are fighting their leads when I turn them out from their stalls bc they want the grass. Also, Spring grass can founder your horses in a large pasture. They won't founder on 1/4 acre.
I was just really happy that both baby apple trees are growing. Remember, I planted one directly on the spot where a GD apple tree had died some 7-8 years ago, and the trunk finally rotted out in 2018. Success!!!
I always appreciate your concerns and advice.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right, clay will set up over time. One trick to break things loose is to actually drive them down just a bit more, just enough to break that bond. I use the N-S-E-W movement too.

It may not be worth it to you depending on how many T-posts you pull, but someone (I think @baymule could have been someone else) showed a T-post puller a few years back. I got one the next time I was at Tractor Supply. You get a grip on the T-post with a chain and use a lever to pull the T-post out. It's a little heavy and awkward to move around but is a lot easier on the back on the stubborn ones.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been watching gardening programs and some gardeners root prune their trees for 2 reasons:
1) Fall and they are going to move them in the Spring
2) Increased root spreading underground after the pruning.
MY point was that when I remove the metal stakes I Might disturb the roots, but I am confident that they will be ok. Do a search on "root pruning." It is done in tree nursery's apparantly all of the time.
I killed a small spruce tree when I moved it last year. I had planted it in a bed by the south foundation of my garage and wanted to plant there. I dug it up and Hoped that I had not cut the tap root, but I guess I did just that. It was a slow death. :hit
Garden, kill and learn.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, that was me that was so delighted over the T-post puller and had to post pictures of it. I pulled T-posts with my 2320 Kubota tractor that were HARD to get out of the ground and I had to work them out. It was 100 times easier with a simple lever handle T-post puller. @Ridgerunner I didn't know I inspired you to go get one! LOL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been watching gardening programs and some gardeners root prune their trees for 2 reasons:
1) Fall and they are going to move them in the Spring
2) Increased root spreading underground after the pruning.
MY point was that when I remove the metal stakes I Might disturb the roots, but I am confident that they will be ok. Do a search on "root pruning." It is done in tree nursery's apparantly all of the time.
I killed a small spruce tree when I moved it last year. I had planted it in a bed by the south foundation of my garage and wanted to plant there. I dug it up and Hoped that I had not cut the tap root, but I guess I did just that. It was a slow death. :hit
Garden, kill and learn.

I understand the reason it's done in nurseries, because they can grow spiraling roots and get pot bound before they are sold and put in the ground.
I just don't get the point of root pruning when they are growing in the ground where you want them. I doubt that there is significant root spread in a healthy tree that was well planted in the first place. I would think you stress it and then has to recover the damaged root spread, but I have not heard of any definitive study that actually compares trees in-ground that are root pruned with those that are allowed to grow unmolested.

When a tree or shrub has not bloomed for years sometimes a root pruning (I'm talking about taking a spade and cutting through the surface roots about 6" - 8" around the circumference ) can shock them into renewed growth and bloom.
I suspect the reason for this is that they were possibly root bound when planted out originally, or the first planting was done poorly.

Latest posts