Journey11's 2011 Garden - large rudbeckia with red halo, post #38

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
His room has also become my chick brooder room, so he would have to be real desperate to move back! :p
Ooh, I'll have to hold onto that idea for later. It sounds like a really creative means of supporting your children as they move into adulthood! :gig I gave your room to the chickens! No going back! :lol:

Yeah, I was tickled pink to get my hands on those cabinets. My MIL told me to put them in the yardsale and keep the money, but it was worth more to me to keep them. I really needed the storage space!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has this not been the most unpleasant and unsettled spring weather (here in the eastern part of the country at least)? Can't get a break from all this rain...

I am so far behind. Normally I have the garden tilled by now and several things planted. All I can do is look at my garden calendar and pace the floor! Peas and onions are in and that's IT. Should have planted by now: potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, swiss chard, beets, turnips, kale, carrots, more lettuce (chickens got my winter lettuce!). More rain on the way for the next 10-day forecast (except for one or two days.)

My garden is a swamp right now!

We had more tornado warnings today too. My chicken tractor blew over, leaving the birds huddling around the food bowl (chubby ol' Cornish X....they didn't go anywhere.) The thing weighs at least 100#. I can't lift it by myself. Had to take the whole thing apart and reassemble it again.
:barnie

Oh, to look on the bright side -- should at least be a stellar morel hunting year! :coolsun

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There you go Journey, when life throws you mushrooms . . . .

We can't catch a break up here either! Have I shown you The 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather? Seattle's weather has sloshed over the Cascade Mountains, across several hundred miles of Columbia Basin desert . . . and smothered us!!

It is 30F right now, that isn't the problem, nor unexpected. We have had 1/3rd of an inch of rain so far this month. That's fine, even tho' some of it was actually snow (!) - the ground is quite dry. It is just that we still haven't hit even 60 so far this year!!

I have no artificial light in the greenhouse. The plants are really stretched from so much cloudiness . . . I can't get anything outside! The wind is nerve-wracking some days and with 300mph air movement and an afternoon high all of a dozen degrees above freezing . .
Steve :barnie

The 4 Seasons of Seattle Weather, he, he, he, he . . !

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Steve, I'd be throwing up some nice tall wind turbines, and tell PUD to 'take a hike!!!' :woot

Sorry to hear about that Journey. But you're right. Mushrooming, yumm! And those beautiful, green mountains all around :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am sorry Journey! We're getting the same mess of weather... cool... rain... cool... warm... rain.... rain... rain....

Its driving me batty and we still haven't finished building the raised beds let along filling them. The last 2 years we had most of this done in Feb & March. Now here we are April, and we're not even at 50% done?! ARGH!

:(

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
ROTF! :lol:

Thanks Steve! I sure needed a good laugh on this dismal day! I feel like that little fella in the cartoon. :p I know what you mean about the wind too. It has kept us on edge. Really, it starts to mess with your nerves after a while.

You're right, MB, things are so very green right now! It happened so quickly, my eyes almost can't process all that green. My DH doesn't like to get out the mower until after Easter so we can hide eggs for my DD in the tall grass. I'm kinda worried now that we might lose her in that jungle! :lol:

Wendy and V, I think I'm gonna have to just throw my garden calendar away. I can't even look at it anymore. :hit

Perhaps I should turn my efforts towards hydroponics....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Notice the little Seattle guy has his cup o' Joe in every frame.

I don't know how a non-coffee drinker could live on the Puget Sound :p. They must have sayings about trying to find sunshine at the bottom of the cup . . . or, something.

My perspective changed today: The wind was in single digitS' and, except for a lot of clouds for about 3 of the mid-day hours, there was a good amount of sunshine.

Before venturing out into the garden, I was moving tomato starts into 4" pots in the greenhouse. I think everything in there had a good day!

The neighbor kid was over "helping" to plant this year's 200 square feet of spuds. He was wearing shorts. He actually took his jacket off. Well, I had my jacket off too but all the spading fork and posthole digger work can warm you up!

As I'm heading home, I'm wondering how close it came to a 60F day! Nah, it couldn't have made it but Gee, it must have come close!

48 . . . it was actually 5 colder than yesterday . . . but, at least, we didn't have all that wind!

Steve :cool:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey I can imagine your frustration with the weather, kind of makes you feel puny, and anxious...hope it lightens up so you can get your gardening done soon. :)

Yep, I'd take a whole bunch more days like today Steve. Yesterday afternoon cleared off and was beautiful, but that wind! Hoping for a day like today when I get a day to work in my own yard... :coolsun

Latest posts