Joy in the Little Things

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today sitting and sorting through bean pods and shelling some of them and not a single mosquito (it was earlier than yesterday :) )... perfect temperature. light breeze.

in the early evening there was a large flock of smaller birds, not sure what kind they were but they were very unusual in that they all tried to stop and roost in a tiny tree (when there are many other larger trees around) and it was rather amusing. all i could think was that they were playing follow the leader and that moment they'd picked the wrong leader to follow... good for a chuckle... :) in all of my years of birdwatching or more informal bird watching moments i'd not seen anything like that before.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
playing follow the leader
Migration?

Likely young birds gathering together, a flock – which, in absence of a principal, may be a better description than a school.

It would have been especially fun to have flocked to the ornithology classes, I imagine.

Steve, bird-brained

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Finally, we have enough pallets to build this 3-bay compost area. :D
There are also those much lighter ones that will become the front panels later.
12387.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Migration?

yes, it was a large gathering.

Likely young birds gathering together, a flock – which, in absence of a principal, may be a better description than a school.

too many for it to be a single family gathering, 60 - 100 LBJs.

It would have been especially fun to have flocked to the ornithology classes, I imagine.

Steve, bird-brained

:) me in the morning...

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally, we have enough pallets to build this 3-bay compost area. :D
There are also those much lighter ones that will become the front panels later.
View attachment 60622
My first compost bins looked just like this and it worked well enough for our purposes. A tip id offer would be to staple some black weed barrier fabric around the inside to keep everything contained.

Latest posts