Garden Master
Reaction score
Not a swale but a “waffle:”

IMG_0723.jpeg
Zuni historical garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sardines, anchovies ... I used to catch smelt when I lived on the coast. Sprat ... Smelt ... funny names :)

BTW Phaedra, @flowerbug and I were just discussing German der ~ die ~ das genders in the "funny that way" thread. How English speakers have sort of dodged those differences. Oh, No!

"Fishes" There's something. "Fishes of the Atlantic" "Fishes that Migrate" "Fishes that School, Together"

🐟 fish, singular
🐟🐟🐟 fish, plural
🐟🐠🦈 fishes

🇺🇸 genders? singular and plural? it/they ... fish on!

Sorry. Feeling American Silly ...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't like anchovies but do like sardines and smelt and the little fishes Grandma used to put in the oven to dry with salt and butter. smoked fish of about any kind (if there is a kind of thing why isn't there a mean of thing? well there is the mathematical mean and then there is meanders and meandering but that is just normal meanings what i mean to write).

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love all the little fishies, esp with the heads still on, hard to find these days here in the USA. Grew up eating sardine sandwiches with my grandfather and his pet raccoon, later in life anchovies on pizzas and antipastos, and even later back when I went ice fishing for smelt. These days I sometimes buy smelt to fry up (too old now to brave the cold or walk out onto the ice with an auger), and keep tinned anchovies and sardines on my shelf at all times, a snack shared with my dogs.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That mental image had me in stitches. :lol: I'll bet that made for interesting visits.
It makes me laugh too to remember it. I don't have any pictures of the 3 of us at the kitchen table, but this is me with baby "Bandit." (He had the run of the farm, was never restrained, and eventually disappeared, probably to find a mate.)
BanditAndMeEarly1950s.jpg

Grandpa's other offered delicacy was pieces of bread dipped in milk. He'd offer a bite to me, then another to Bandit. It was sort of like feeding two pets, the kid and the coon! Those were the days!

Latest posts