Joy in the Little Things

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pouring RAIN today! Grass is green, the drought has ended. We’ve had rain over the past few weeks but mostly spit showers. Today it rained all day. I had to go to town, right outside my gate, water was over the road.

E5449EF5-8281-4FEB-BEE1-B137131347EE.jpeg

Just beyond that was more water on the road. Look closely, just ahead was more water.

70D25E3A-FA3A-44C1-A5DC-6A10EE6BB4F1.jpeg

I’m grateful for the rain. Coming back home, the rain had stopped, the road was slushy in places, but not bad.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, was your recipe something like this:

Nov 25, 2020 ?

Your pan was different ;)
Hi Steve,

Not exactly, the one you posted is closer to the "Utane method." Usually, the starter (flour and water) is gradually heated up to 65˚C and then rested in the fridge overnight. I used this method in the past.

This time, I use the Poolish starter and love it! It's even easier than the Utane starter and creates a softer and more delicate texture.

8751.jpg

8752.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, you have berries in your bread ..!?

So, the yeast was added and there were long hours before beginning again with the process?

My mother did something like that with the homemade rolls that were common in our house and we have continued the tradition ;). May be similar - there is a need to plan ahead but it cuts down on needing, umm kneading time.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And, you have berries in your bread ..!?

So, the yeast was added and there were long hours before the final mixing and kneading?

My mother did something like that with the homemade rolls that were common in our house and we have continued the tradition ;). May be similar - there is a need to plan ahead but it cuts down on needing, umm kneading time.
Yes, before the final rise, I added some raisins, rolled the dough, and put it in the form. You can add different ingredients to each roll and have a multi-flavor loaf.
7263_0.jpg

The Poolish starter is a bit like the sourdough method, but for me, the major difference is it can keep more moisture inside the bread. The bread won't get dry easily in 2~3 days. For me, it might be the most straightforward way, just mix flour+water+yeast after dinner, let it rest under room temperature, and send it into the fridge (or greenhouse, haha) before going to bed.

The kneading time is 3 minutes (slow speed to mix all ingredients) + 6 minutes (mid speed) + butter + 3 minutes (slower speed to mix butter into the dough) + 6 minutes (mid speed)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once worked at a commercial bakery. By mixing and then putting in refrigeration, you are retarding the dough, letting it rest, before working into a loaf the next day.

Sometimes its call sponge dough too. When it retards but continues to grow, then produces a lighter more air filled end product.

Latest posts