just a update...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
was out there in the raised beds area the rosemary died, the oregano needed to be trimmed back was about to flower...
went over to the thyme to trim it up nope not now... i have babies in there.... mother bunny must have done that since thursday afternoon.
bunny.JPG

will have to keep the girls out of there.... they love to chase rabbits....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
6/11/17
yesterday opened up the fence ends and mowed the cover crop on the main tried to till it under that was a waste of time it just clogged up the tines.
DSC_0003.JPG

will wait till it drys out and then mow it again then till it..
was able to till under the the melon patch....
DSC_0006.JPG

need to re hill it. will do a mess of peas this fall...

started to till under the raised beds was able to get 5 out of the 9 main beds done the spark plug died on the cultivator...grrrr
DSC_0004.JPG

while sitting out there trying to get it started, looked down and how about that i'm a grand pa.<of course no camera> here comes a baby bunny it sat down next to me..no fear what so ever. it eat while i talked to it, even let me touch it. slowly put my hat down it went right under it, looked around there was another that was trying to get out though the fence went over get it out and put it into the critter pile, went back over and the other was still under my hat, it jumped right into it took it over to the same spot as the other, off it went... wished them well

by this time it was 90* and 60% humidity.. done for the day.... will finish up next week..

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a minute I thought that bunny was toast! Glad to know you have a soft heart. Do rabbits cause any damage to your garden?

Those tilled beds look good. At least your doing some type of gardening. Even if it's gardening chores. :p

Mary

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a minute I thought that bunny was toast! Glad to know you have a soft heart. Do rabbits cause any damage to your garden?

Those tilled beds look good. At least your doing some type of gardening. Even if it's gardening chores. :p

Mary
mary when i do have all the gardens producing, not too worried about rabbits there's plenty to share and no they do not do any true damage they are more using the cover of what ever is growing as shade in the main garden. with all the lettuce and other tender veggies as long as we keep the gate closed there's never a problem.
they are mainly looking for a place to give birth in a safe place...if mom can get in and out her babies have a safe place...yup i am a very big softy to rabbits. okay to all wildlife..

yes the cover crop have done wonders for the raised bed soil....but will still need to add calcium and greensand this fall to make it truly productive next spring..
oh yes will do a small fall garden....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
With my rat problem seemingly gone (knock on wood) I'm getting excited to try a fall garden. I've attempted twice before and I would find my starts chewed down to stubs. I thought it was snails and would put bait down but now I think it was rats. So we'll see how it goes. Will probably only plant broccoli and cauliflower.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is one of my goals to grow a fall garden, but I confess I never seem to have the start dates down. I guess you don't have that problem in California though eh?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is one of my goals to grow a fall garden, but I confess I never seem to have the start dates down. I guess you don't have that problem in California though eh?

What's your first frost date? I'll snap a pic of my pocket planting guide for you. You move the slider according to your first and last frost dates and it calculates it for you. Handy little thing!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's your first frost date? I'll snap a pic of my pocket planting guide for you. You move the slider according to your first and last frost dates and it calculates it for you. Handy little thing!

Really? What a wonderful thing to have! 1st frost date is 10/25. I had to do a quick search as I have the last frost date memorized, but not 1st lol

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So basically, when I plant my slaughter chickens it will be time for my fall garden. How exciting!! Thank you so much Journey11!

Latest posts