Just another day in the neighborhood!

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Moose interactions are fairly common to us so this isn't surprising, however it’s the boreing’est time of the year so i thought i’d mix it up a bit. Don't try this at home!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moose interactions are fairly common to us so this isn't surprising, however it’s the boreing’est time of the year so i thought i’d mix it up a bit. Don't try this at home!

it did not look very concerned... very tame to be hanging out like that.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
At first blush they may appear tame; i think tolerant is a better word. Several years ago one stomped a janitor TO DEATH at U.A in Anchorage, this one was a “regular” on the campus and not bothersome until that fateful day for the poor janitor. It gained a lot of notoriety because several of the Students stood by videoing the event with their phones; rather than offer assistance!
Stubborn might be a good word too, with a mind set of “we were here first and aren’t about to yield to an encroaching civilization!” The only thing i’m real sure of regarding Moose; is how good they taste!!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
At first blush they may appear tame; i think tolerant is a better word.

i was being a bit funny there. certain times of the year you don't want to be messing with a male moose or a concerned mother moose...

as far as i goes, these days, i'm generally rooting for the wild animals that fight back against people who do dumb things.

Several years ago one stomped a janitor TO DEATH at U.A in Anchorage, this one was a “regular” on the campus and not bothersome until that fateful day for the poor janitor. It gained a lot of notoriety because several of the Students stood by videoing the event with their phones; rather than off assistance!

what could they do? they could have tried something, but would it have made a difference?

Stubborn might be a good word too, with a mind set of “we were here first and aren’t about to yield to an encroaching civilization!” The only thing i’m real sure of regarding Moose; is how good they taste!!

i've never seen one in person or tasted one. i have seen the results of them being hit by trucks/semis (picture of accidents). i've tried to be in places where they are supposed to be and also had them wander by in the night and only heard about it the next morning...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The neighbors reported a moose that went through the big veggie garden before I arrived in the Spring, last year.

The ground must have been frozen because I didn't find tracks. It was with some anxiety that I was looking. The first moose that I ever saw wasn't all that many years ago and only a couple of miles away from that garden.

There was a news report this Winter of an elk herd just a few miles on the other side of the valley. That has been fairly common during severe Winters and I have driven past the elk many times over the years. This hasn't been severe but they may have just been comfortable showing up.

There are elk and moose in both those mountain ranges but moose have become more common in recent years. Perhaps the hunting pressure is still on the elk where they seldom stay around lower elevations during the growing season. This seems to not be as recently true for the moose. Having one snacking in my garden would likely be devastating.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I will NEVER understand how people don't understand that wild animals need to stay in the wild and they have nothing in their genetics that wants to play with us!
I have heard too many "Karens" who want to own a panther or a chimp.
Dogs and cats return your affection. HECK, little "Digby" the new 12 wk old kitten Wants to curl up in your lap and purr.
My GS Eva just wants kisses and cuddles and playtime.
Even the ponies want to play with me, all >1K pounds of them each. You need them to understand what you Don't want them to do. AND, you never feed a carrot to your horse while it is sticking out of your mouth.
YES, I have seen That, too.
A fox isn't worth you time.
Certainly, I would give a moose the same clearance as a Grizzly.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have heard too many "Karens" who want to own a panther or a chimp.
Lol @ducks4you There was a facility in town here that housed animals rescued from shall we say pet owners in the underground economy. There were busts, and then animals needing to be rescued. This one guy took it as somewhat of a life mission to house these critters and allow visitors to come and see why owning these kinds of pets is a terrible idea. I mean, there was an alligator in there , a crocodile, a few 20 foot long pythons, many monkeys, small African jungle cats, etc. Even an enormous African porcupine who acted much like a dog, her quills though made our porcupines look like paddington bear. There was an exotic bird whose 'caw' felt like you were having your eardrums drilled for oil. I mean, wowzers, she did great advertising for why her kind makes for permanent hearing loss in humans. I often wondered how the other animals in there survived that screeching. I'm sure his idea worked great, and the animals paid thier own way - you had to pay to walk the facility and they held kids birthday parties all the time. Last year some professor Karen decided this fell under the category of 'roadside zoo' (despite the fact that government gave him all these exotic rescues in the first place to avoid giving them all the blue juice) and engineered to have the place shut down. No more education on the dangers of exotic pets, with the wave of one professorial wand.

Latest posts