Just need to vent. >:(

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
So today my MIL came over at my husband's invitation to look at our roses and see what is wrong with them. She was really helpful, nice and informative about the roses. Showed us how to trim them properly, and told us what to do to get rid of the problems (aphids and brown rust.)

Anyway, everything was awesome till she decides that asking for advice on roses means she has permission to stampede through the rest of the gardens and give advice on everything.

She pulled up my onion starts, ate half my peas thinking they were snap peas ready for eating and not my canning peas which they actually were. Told me I needed to thin, that my garden is a mess and too closely planted (It's intensive gardening style) and then proceeded to pull up my radishes. (Those are evidently weeds too.)

So now I have no peas and no radishes, and I lack the backbone to karate chop them for their crimes. >_>

Some day.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well...that's a tricky situation! My personal viewpoint on it is that family peace and harmony is probably worth more than peas and radishes...but I sure know other people may think differently! :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So much hard work goes into your garden, that would be quite insulting. Yeah, probably best to try to keep the peas. ;) I know that is hard though, unwanted advice, especially from your inlaws. Mine were bad about that too when we first got married, but it has improved over the years. We hid the fact that we were looking to buy a house until after we'd already signed the contract on it because we didn't want to hear it. :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs A hug from friends is what you need right now. :hugs I can imagine how frustrated you must be feeling.:barnie However, in the interest of family, consider that this is the woman who prepared your DH for you...the next closest woman to his heart, and let the little things go.

:hugsYou could replant peas. You might be able to do it now. If it is already too hot you might have to wait for a fall planting, but I never get peas to the point of canning anyway. They are all eaten as pods or even at the flower stage -- my granddaughter insists the taste just like peas (and they do). Radishes grow quickly and if you plant a few more you'll enjoy the next batch even more for the wait. :hugs

I remember the day my mom dug every onion and every potato plant in dad's garden to get onions no bigger than the sets he put out and marble-sized spuds so that she could get a meal of 'new' potatoes and pearl onions. :he

:hugsIt could have been deer, raccoon, woodchuck, or rabbits wreaking worse havoc when you were asleep instead of your MIL in your presence. You would feel just as frustrated and upset with no one to blame.:hugs Just not worth the effort to be angry.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile....... That was a little overbearing and I don't blame you for being a little miffed about it.

If she makes tracks toward your garden again, get out in front of the situation. By that I mean don't wait for her to start telling you her opinions, YOU give HER "the nickel tour"! YOU tell HER what everything is, before she has a chance to tell you. You excitedly exclaim over how well intensive gardening is working for you and how you can get more vegetables out of a smaller area. And blah, blah, blah.....don't shut up and don't let her get a word in edgewise. Bubble over with enthusiasm and be so excited, so that she can't say anything negative at all.

Tenderly hold a pea (if any grow back) and brag on all it's attributes. Proudly point to EVERYTHING and brag endlessly ad nauseam. AND JUST LOOK AT THIS! I PLANTED IT ONLY A MONTH AGO AND WILL YOU JUST LOOK HOW BIG IT IS NOW! Explain in great detail how you composted, planted each tiny seed, nurtured the seedlings, watered them and on and on and on and on........ She will be trying to get away from you--you maniac gardener!

Baymule says....kill 'em with kindness.....ya' know......the happy psychotic kind of kindness...... BWA-HAHAHAHA

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pressure release valve is loosened up so much from age, crankiness and irrationality that it's permanently cracked open.

I figure low pressure is preferable to high and a darn sight better than none.

You need to vent, just whistle.

Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My problem is my father. I had a 20 foot tall blue spruce along side the stream. Blue spruce grow very very slow. Who knows how old this tree was. Without me knowing my father cut off every branch but 4. he then told me it would fill in nice. 10 years later the tree still only has 4 branches, friends wonder why I keep it. Now I keep the garden shed locked!!!!!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
My problem is my father. I had a 20 foot tall blue spruce along side the stream. Blue spruce grow very very slow. Who knows how old this tree was. Without me knowing my father cut off every branch but 4. he then told me it would fill in nice. 10 years later the tree still only has 4 branches, friends wonder why I keep it. Now I keep the garden shed locked!!!!!
Oh my gosh, Nyboy! I don't blame you for trying to keep him away from tools!

Latest posts