KeeperAtTheHomestead's 2019 Garden

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I brought home another pack of seeds .:hide

My husband just shakes his head. :lol:

I'm planning these as backdrop in aaphoto of all my "sweet peas." Thats kiddos. My sweet peas (kiddos) by my sweet peas (flowers). :love
IMG_20190219_170815.jpg

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love sweet peas. (kiddos and flowers) :love

My garden class kids grew an heirloom variety last year, Dorothy something, it did miserably. It grew but only produced a few flowers in the fall right before a freeze. :\

Bummer!! Sorry! Maybe this year will work better? Or another variety?
A garden class for kids is intriguing! I must know more! Do y'all get together weekly? Just plant a garden and study each plant independently?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@thistlebloom that is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!!! :thumbsup Do you have repeat kiddos each year? Do you charge for the classes or do you view it more as, "knowledge is priceless"?

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@KeeperAtTheHomestead . I was thinking you would have some huge ,outlandish, undoable, pipe dream list. Look what you have there is mainstream around these parts lol. I have tried some of the things on your list, one of them is the golden bantam improved corn. It did good it was the first year we had a corn harvest that was not lost to bugs. Last season the weather here was cold in the early season so things were slow to take off. By the time frost was coming we were able to pick the corn to freeze but none was really mature enough to save seed from. Also tried the rainbow mix carrots last season, we are doing back to the Nantes that grow better here. I think you are wise to plant a few varieties of each group, that way you can figure out what works best for you and your climate. What grow zone are you in? It help if you post it. Welcome from Washington sounds like you will fit right in here. Glad you joined

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom that is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing!!! :thumbsup Do you have repeat kiddos each year? Do you charge for the classes or do you view it more as, "knowledge is priceless"?

It all started with 7 neighbor kids from 2 families. Then another family joined us, and another, and another... the 2018 class had 15 kids. The original kids continued on and were still with me last year. I finally did start charging, because I buy all the seeds , journals, experiment materials and popsicles. Gets to be quite an investment with that many kids.
We meet weekly through the summer and attendance rises and falls with vacations and family stuff. We end the summer with a family potluck at our house and the kids give a short presentation, and we have a treasure hunt and somebody always organizes a human pyramid with parents and kids and we are generally hilarious. :)

Latest posts