KeeperAtTheHomestead's 2019 Garden

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Take another look at my picture, lower right corner. Can you see the wire I laid flat on the ground and attached it to the coop and run? NO critter could dig in. I had a wire skirt that extended 24", all the way around the coop and run. @KeeperAtTheHomestead I suggest you also skirt your coop and run. Predators will go to the coop and start to dig, they hit wire and give up. I have never had a predator back up two feet to tunnel in. LOL
If you have a bear , badger or volverine in the 'hood, then all bets are off. In our neck of the woods in Central Cal. there isn't anyone raising chickens for miles around due to bears, cougars, badgers and coyotes as all four can and do get in a chicken enclosure with brute force. Many have tried as evidenced by empty /abandoned chicken housing.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you have a bear , badger or volverine in the 'hood, then all bets are off. In our neck of the woods in Central Cal. there isn't anyone raising chickens for miles around due to bears, cougars, badgers and coyotes as all four can and do get in a chicken enclosure with brute force. Many have tried as evidenced by empty /abandoned chicken housing.

On the other hand, we have all of the above and I have never lost a chicken to a predator, excepting the two cockerels that got out and were hawk bait.
I have no idea why this is, I don't do anything extraordinary and my coop and run are not Fort Knox.

We had raccoon tracks in the bottom of the dogs wading pool, and a coyote circling around the run one morning. A cougar was seen and photographed lounging in the neighbors driveway, bears have passed through on the gas line, coyotes are abundant... so :idunno

TwinCitiesPanda

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I'm not going to plant every seed or pack of seeds, lol. But quite a few, yes. I think I could easily out plant a 20x30. I know starting small is the most logical thing bbbuuttttt grow big or don't grow at all??!!! I feel like a kid in a candy store. I've waited so long for this that there's no holding back.

Yeah, I was talking about bagged soil. That adds up fast. Every blogger/YouTuber has a thousand layers. No way could I afford that...not for the size of garden I'm wanting. I don't have access to manure.
Maybe check craigslist for manure. I found 2 different people who sell and deliver in my area.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, we have all of the above and I have never lost a chicken to a predator, excepting the two cockerels that got out and were hawk bait.
I have no idea why this is, I don't do anything extraordinary and my coop and run are not Fort Knox.

We had raccoon tracks in the bottom of the dogs wading pool, and a coyote circling around the run one morning. A cougar was seen and photographed lounging in the neighbors driveway, bears have passed through on the gas line, coyotes are abundant... so :idunno

i suspect the difference between an arid environment and one that has more water can make a large difference as to what a farm/garden might attract in the way of predators. in a desert/arid place any source of water will draw animals from miles around... more extreme measures would have to be made to protect all water sources (plants and animals).

IMO, one way to reduce the pressure would be to put some further off watering holes in to decoy the predators away from the homestead. it may not be a total solution but it may help - but i also think you're going to need some very effective fences.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have not been an issue yesterday or today, but what about tomorrow ? Your area may have enough easy prey to not bother your stock, but when the native prey becomes scarecer, what happens next ?
i suspect the difference between an arid environment and one that has more water can make a large difference as to what a farm/garden might attract in the way of predators. in a desert/arid place any source of water will draw animals from miles around... more extreme measures would have to be made to protect all water sources (plants and animals).

IMO, one way to reduce the pressure would be to put some further off watering holes in to decoy the predators away from the homestead. it may not be a total solution but it may help - but i also think you're going to need some very effective fences.
This idea MAY work to a point, BUT in our area the smallest parcels are 20 acres ranging to 10,000 acres. So, are you saying that we could put in a water line to the edge of this size of property just to provide water to a predator ? One would have to take out a huge loan to pay for it what with boulders and hard pans up to a foot thick at or just inches below the surface Now , my neighbors house sits within 20 yards of our mutual property line. I am sure Steve and Betty would be thrilled to have Wiley Coyote come over to quench his thirst and chat for a wile. A .308 / .223 works far better.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome KeeperAtTheHomestead! You will love this place. Your enthusiasm is contagious. So happy for you that your long life dream is coming to fruition. Go big or go home! Plant everything you want. I can't wait to hear how your garden grows.

Can you put your location in your avatar so that we may know what area you are in?

Mary

KeeperAtTheHomestead

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome KeeperAtTheHomestead! You will love this place. Your enthusiasm is contagious. So happy for you that your long life dream is coming to fruition. Go big or go home! Plant everything you want. I can't wait to hear how your garden grows.

Can you put your location in your avatar so that we may know what area you are in?

Mary
Thank you for the welcome and words of encouragement!!
I updated my profile to include my zone . :)

Latest posts