Kentucky Coffee Tree?

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I was away today someone weedwhacked the top off my little Kentucky Coffee Tree sapling I had been babying since Arbor Day. It had been doing so well and I'd had it marked, but he didn't pay attention and cut it off. Any chance it could grow back? It's remnants are about 12" tall and not as big around as a pencil. I had watered it and admired its foliage every day. I am just sick over this. I'd planted it by the chicken run in hopes it would one day shade it. It has a companion that I'd also planted on Arbor Day that wasn't as healthy looking and has lost quite a few leaves. Of course, he didn't weedwhack the sick one-- only the perfect one. I'd even talked with this man about my new Kentucky Coffee Trees a while back and shown them to him. He must have forgotten-- IF he's the one who did this. Anyone seen any of these for sale anywhere. I called 2 nurseries and the ones they have range from $120.00 to $170.00.

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Latin name of the Kentucky Coffee Tree is Gymnocladus dioicus.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe it will start sprouting some leaves from the stem. I've had my share of people mowing down my plants this year, too.:somad

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, so lucky. I hope I can be so lucky. I am seeing red right now. No communication, no consultation.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have had similar issues w/weed trimmers. dh has destroyed many precious plants over the years. it was a diabolical plot so he could get out of using the line trimmer.
a couple of years ago my adult daughter came to visit & thought she would help me weed. she pulled up a special clematis I had been nursing along. IT CAME BACK!
sorry about your special tree. hope you see it's return

GardenGeisha

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm glad your clematis came back. What makes me mad is there are weeds around all the farm implements. They only weed whacked easy spots. They should have used scissors and cut the important weeds, not viable young trees. So needless. And in the winter I had an old tire around a mini lilac, protecting it. Someone took the tire and threw it a distance. I was so mad. No communication, no discussion.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
are you sure it was weedwacked? I blamed the landscaper for weedwacking a mulberry tree, he pointed out some of damage was 3 feet high meaning deer did it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just saw a photo of a Kentucky coffee tree in bloom what a beautiful tree. No wonder you are mad, it said they are very hard to find for sale. Hope it comes back for you.

nelson castro

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just saw a photo of a Kentucky coffee tree in bloom what a beautiful tree. No wonder you are mad, it said they are very hard to find for sale. Hope it comes back for you.
Too beautiful that you should get mad.. Hope it goes well.

Latest posts