Kids Garden Class 2016

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really enjoyed visiting El Paso and Austin. It was great being in Corpus Christi for 3 weeks of sun and surf ... in November!

My grandmother's father (my great grandfather ;)) was from Texas. My family has a picture of him beside his team. He had a hat you would never imagine. A Deerstalker! Like Sherlock Holmes!

He was wearing something that you might think belongs on a Texan. A six-shooter, strapped around his waist. He wasn't a very big guy. That revolver looked mighty big in that picture ;).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We took a break from all that back breaking garden labor on the July 28 class. We had a few contests, with prizes!! :ya

It was girls vs boys to pick the most edible weeds in 10 minutes.
Lambs quarters and purslane.

DSCN4012.JPG

The boys edged the girls out for a victory, but only by a few ounces.

DSCN4021.JPG

The water relay was popular.

DSCN4023.JPG

Chasing each other around with the squirters was even more popular with some.

No pictures of the grasshopper catching contest. The boys landslided the girls with their technique.

But the girls fought back with their intellects and obliterated the boys on the BFW (Big Fat Word) quiz. They used the break between activities to study their garden journals and quiz each other.

The look on the boys faces was priceless when it was their turn to supply the definitions. ....sideways looks at each other... shrugs...
...crickets... :lol:

It was a hot day and the kids enjoyed dunking their heads.

DSCN4043.JPG

And kicking their shoes off.
DSCN4045.JPG
***************************************************************************************
Yesterdays class was much cooler and windier. Some of the kids showed up in shorts and flip flops, but ran back home to change into jeans and jackets.

The kids picked a project from @Carol Dee 's Garden Lab book. It tied in with one of our BFW's, entomology. They chose rocks from the yard to transform into insects.

DSCN4050.JPG

DSCN4051.JPG

The kids traded in popsicles for a cup of hot cocoa. Never thought that would happen. Here's to you August!

DSCN4053.JPG

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We took a break from all that back breaking garden labor on the July 28 class.
The kids picked a project from @Carol Dee 's Garden Lab book. It tied in with one of our BFW's, entomology. They chose rocks from the yard to transform into insects. Here's to you August!

View attachment 15384
Thistlebloom, what a fun and special way to get children interested in their world. These are days those children will never forget. Lucky them! Wonderful you!.

Latest posts