Kids Garden Class 2016

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well the 2016 Kids Garden Class is now a part of history.

We had our final get together with the families last Sunday with a potluck on the lawn. We did have one family not be able to make it because of a family wedding they were attending, and we missed them.

Several of the kids gave presentations to the adults that they chose from a subject we studied in our class time. They were exceptional and I was very proud of their efforts.

The weather was very nice and we all had such an enjoyable time we decided to have a neighborhood potluck once a month. :)

To summarize the garden year I would say that the SBG was not a success. To be fair it wasn't a great gardening year for any type of growing, even the neighbors gardens in the ground had low yields for most crops.
There were probably too many variables to say it was growing in straw that was to blame, but next year we will plant directly in the ground. It will be much less expensive for me at least.

The kids bales have all been popped and spread out over the garden. They were nicely decayed and there were lots of worms on the soil side when they were pulled over. Hopefully they will continue to break down and make lots of humus for next year.
This coming week I plan to spread the coop and chicken pen cleanings on top of the straw, as well as several loads of horse manure and then let it all sit until spring.

Another goal I have is to develop my lesson plans this winter
(wow, what a concept! Preplanning!) instead of week by week as I did this summer. I also want to have the kids start some vegetables early for planting out in May. Some of the disappointments with harvest were due to late starts, which was my bad.( I would like @Nyboy to know that his Hudson Valley zuke did produce a few fruits even though I gave it such a late start. )

Extra time in the summer is a rare luxury for me, and time is going to be even more scarce next year because I will hopefully be spending more of it on the hay burner. So if I am diligent in getting as much laid out ahead of the season as possible it will go more smoothly.

If any of you have suggestions for planting or planning I'm all ears.

I only have one picture of our final family celebration of the Kids Garden Class. My camera battery died right after this shot of the kids building a human pyramid.

DSCN4158.JPG

That little guy in green will be a garden member next year when he reaches his 4th birthday. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww.... that is so great. You are making future gardeners, lessons that will stay with them all their lives. You are a wonderful lady to give of yourself so selflessly. Your neighbors are fortunate to live in your neighborhood!

For planning..... make a garden blueprint. Plan what you are going to plant and where. A good idea to start plants early too!