Kitchen nightmare on Halloween

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a fridge in the carport. It's the spare and unused much of the year.

Of course, I have never seen a car in the carport. There are bags of potting soil and peat moss ... I could call it a potting shed but I'm usually in the greenhouse for potting. Besides, it's attached to the garage.

:idunnoNo car has been in that garage for 20+ years. It has a wood floor someone built, retro-fit. I could call it a workshop but then I might be expected to work out there ..!

Good luck @flowerweaver ! I also live in an old house and nothing modern fits.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that's one of the problems with ALL old houses. Every time our fridge blows out (probably happened 5-6 times in my life, at least 2-3 in the last few years) one of the first things we need to do before buying a new one is to make sure it can fit and that the doors can be removed and put back on. Our house is from 1928 and has had a LOT of odd modifications so there really isn't a straight way from any door into the kitchen. And even when we do, there is always a certain amount of compromise involved. For example with our current one, if we need anything in the cabinet over the fridge, we have to open the fridge doors first to get them out of the way. It's just part of the "surprises" of our house, like when we discovered that the person who installed the wall over before our current one had arranged the wires so that there was no way to reset the pilot as long as the over was there (we had that corrected) Or how when the upstairs bathroom started leaking we had to re-do the whole thing because all the pipes were set in concrete (were actually about to re-do the downstairs bathroom, and one of the reliefs is that because a lot of that is an add on the pipes are all exposed (you go down to the garage, and they are all running along the ceiling).

As much agita as the main fridge is, I shudder to think what is going to happen when the OTHER fridge goes. THAT one is in the basement so getting a new one is probably going to require going through the garage, getting it from there to the workroom, through the narrow corridor between the stairs and the washer alcove, around the bottom of the stairs (which will probably require taking down the storage shelves and then around the other side.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do remember your recent refrigerator fiasco @Pulsegleaner . Yes, these old homes are money pits. Everyone that says 'oh, how charming!' I just want to bop them on the head with a quaint stick. They have no idea the trouble we go through! Nobody wants to come out this far to work on something that challenging, and a lot of this stuff we can't do ourselves, yet sometimes we must. Or we stoop to hiring locals who don't really know what they are doing. Like the time I hired a blind plumber and the first time I let the tub water out it emptied into my clothes closet, and he connected the RO filter to my dishwasher! Gah.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my cousins and his wife bought an old house in Chicago and spent 4 years and twice the price of a new home to remodel it. Sometimes it is much cheaper to use a match and rebuild the house than to replace any item that goes wrong in the house. Oh, I forgot about the "character" of the house, so never mind ! :idunno

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, as much trouble as they are, a lot of modern ones are even worse. I'll take a house with these kind of problems any day, when the alternative is one built so shoddily that in ten or twenty years it just collapses.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulsegleaner, you are so right. Our home is over 100 years old and built entirely out of redwood! It might have it's quirks but all the money that we have put into it has only made the house rise in value. But too us it's just home, not the $800,000 plus that it's worth.

Mary

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In June my house withstood a direct hit of a tornado, so it's got good 'bones--there's something to be said for the quality of materials back then.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
After out kitchen fire we bought a new refrigerator and gave contractor the measurements so it would fit between cabinets they where installing. When cabinets where up we brought it in. It was so TIGHT we nearly had to grease it to get it in! Grrrr.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee, that is a joke around here. Whenever DH builds something you can bet it will just barely fit into the allotted space. It always fits -- with or without the grease -- but there is no margin for error from this carpenter who NEVER makes a mistake.

That's what HE says. "I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong."

I remember telling a doctor once that it was hard living with someone who never makes a mistake. The doctor agreed it would be difficult living with someone who insisted he was never wrong. Nope, I replied, doesn't think he's never wrong, he IS never wrong and that's hard for a mere mortal like me to live with.

Latest posts