kiwis getting a trim

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally had time to finish up pruning the kiwis...
January 9th started to prune.. what a mess .....
DSC_0002.JPG

January 28th........ the final prune.....
hopefully next weekend will tighten up the wire so it does not sag as bad.....
DSC_0003.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are much tidier now Major!

I pruned my apple trees, before they bloomed! That doesn't happen every year, some years I'm so behind that I figure it's better to leave them alone than prune late and have to deal with all of that exuberant growth at the cuts.

I noticed this year that with each tree I did I was redefining what was dead, broken, interfering or growing the wrong direction. Nearly ended up doing a bonsai by the time I got to the last one. :rolleyes:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are much tidier now Major!

I pruned my apple trees, before they bloomed! That doesn't happen every year, some years I'm so behind that I figure it's better to leave them alone than prune late and have to deal with all of that exuberant growth at the cuts.

I noticed this year that with each tree I did I was redefining what was dead, broken, interfering or growing the wrong direction. Nearly ended up doing a bonsai by the time I got to the last one. :rolleyes:

that's basically what i did is the bonsai approach, took out all the top growth for both the male and female and just left cordons that would run along the wires.
of course over the next couple years<if it lives the pruning > will keep up on the pruning...