Lab/Great Dane Puppy!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were gone all morning. When we got home we let him outside. Carson ran, ran, ran and ran some more. He ran Trip down and kept running. He finally wound down, came inside, got a drink, ate and is now asleep, belly up. He likes to play with a stick. He'll pick up a stick and proudly carry it around. I'll praise him, toss the stick 3-4 feet away and lavish him with praise when he brings it back. Carson is a natural at playing fetch.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carson loves his morning nap in my lap while I drink my coffee.

C592602F-5ED4-472B-A9E5-EEB63D549CC8.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you had him around the chickens ?
I've walked him up to the coops and told him NO! Today I did it again. I think I'm going to put him in a coop that has explosive chickens-they fly, squawk and go nuts. I'll slap everything with a newspaper, yell NO and scare him to death

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I let Eva in the with the chickens. At first, they were scared to death of her, now they just let Eva periodically chase them. I sometimes close her in the run while I do things like mowing. Eva spends her coop time sniffing the ground and sometimes grabs cracked egg shells that I recycle there for crunching. She needs to protect them, which she won't do if she doesn't have access to them.
Just some food for thought.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When Larka was a pup I set her up. She had shown a mild interest in the chickens by walking up to the pen and staring at them. Just puppy curiousity, not blood lust, lol.

Her parents however have killed any chicken that got out of the pen and also their two goats, so I wanted to impress on Larka early that these were off limits.

I put a slip collar and leash on her and walked her around a bit, then got to the chicken pen and stood to the side parallel to the fence and close to the gate. I opened the gate and the hens all ran out right past us, into the yard like they do when they get freedom.
Larka lunged and I was ready with a NO! an about turn and hard correction that spun her and lifted her off her feet.

That was all it took for her, but she is a sensitive "soft" dog and hates to be in trouble.
She is totally trustworthy with all the livestock. She may have been anyway, some dogs are and don't need the sting operation, but because of her family history I was going to make sure.

Latest posts