Lady Banks Rose & Flowers

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just wanted to share some of our blooms with everyone! I'll keep adding pix to this post as the yard blooms.

***clickable thumbnails***

Our Lady Banks Rose...

Money Plant/Lunaria...

Variegated Solomon's Seal...

Wild Columbine...

Trillium...

Clematis...

Does anyone know what this next one is? I'm clueless...the foliage reminds me of a Crocus and the flowers close up in the evenings (last pic)...

Thanks for looking!

Dawn

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like Ornithogalum to me. I *think* the common name is star of bethlehem...?

Lovely flowers, all - I especially like the rose, wish it were hardy up here!

Pat

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat! :hugs

It is Star of Bethlem. I must have spread the bulbs, unknowingly, as they are coming up in odd places in the front bed. The first ones bloomed in a large clump of Lemon Balm and I knew the flowers didn't belong to the LB. LOL

I love our Lady Banks and wish I could have made the pix with Scratch & Sniff...it's a light scent, not over-powering at all. Believe it or not, that rose started out as a 12" rooted cutting 4 - 5 years ago.

Dawn

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love my lady banks. I was at the nursery a few weeks ago and he had two started on trellis, they were not doing so great and he gave them to me, they are now doing great. I was a blessed lady that day, They are gorgeous roses.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Dilly Girl

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Looks like Ornithogalum to me. I *think* the common name is star of bethlehem...?

Lovely flowers, all - I especially like the rose, wish it were hardy up here!

Pat
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You've answered one of many mysteries growing around the yard! Putting a name to it should help me control it better.

I found a clump of lunaria volunteers in the woods edge, today. So thank you to Dawn for that picture. I took a double take, though, because I was pulling garlic mustard and the leaves and structure are very similar... if it hadn't been in bloom, it would be gone.

It's fun to learn was the previous owners planted... and about time (10 years in the house, now.)

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I found a clump of lunaria volunteers in the woods edge, today. So thank you to Dawn for that picture. I took a double take, though, because I was pulling garlic mustard and the leaves and structure are very similar... if it hadn't been in bloom, it would be gone.
You're so Welcome!

I added some of the Lunaria blooms to a bouqet for my Granny. She asked what they were so I told her and she said, "I didn't know that the Money Plant had flowers." I replied, "Where do you thing the Silver Dollars (as she calls them) come from, they are the seed pods." We had a good laugh over that one! :gig

Here are somemore of what has been blooming in the past week. Most of these are scented to our yard smells like a 2 acre scratch & sniff right now!

Wild Solomon's Seal...

Solomon's Seal blossoms...

Not sure what this is, but the bees love it...

Allegheny Foam Flower...

Evening Primrose...

Paper Whites...

Geum 'Mrs. Bradshaw'...

Sweet William...

Red Hot Poker...

Our other Clematis...

Locust blooms...

Irises...

This one smells like grape Kool-aid...

This one looks more black than the camera shows...

??? Iris...

Enjoy!!!

Dawn

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow beautiful! I bet you sit in the yard for hours?
I'd sure love to have a cutting from your lady Banks...you wanta send one to Indiana? I have several rose bushes if you'd like me to send you a cutting in return?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dawn,

How do you get your ladybanks to climb? I have one beside my swing and it just sprouts like a fountain over the grass. I've cut it back several times because I get tired of having to mow around it!

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
robbobbin said:
wow beautiful! I bet you sit in the yard for hours?
I'd sure love to have a cutting from your lady Banks...you wanta send one to Indiana? I have several rose bushes if you'd like me to send you a cutting in return?
I'd love to trade some rose cuttings with you! Will get the cuttings started tomorrow (after I do my research, as I've never tried it before).

Southern Gardener said:
Dawn,

How do you get your ladybanks to climb? I have one beside my swing and it just sprouts like a fountain over the grass. I've cut it back several times because I get tired of having to mow around it!
Hi SG,

Finally found the pic of the trellis Skip built for me/the rose last April. I was absolutely amazed how just how big it has gotten in just a year.

To help it climb, we just wove several of the longest branches through the different levels of the trellis then loosely tied them in place with some baling twine.

We also have the trellis much straighter than it looks in the pic. :gig

If anyone else would like cuttings, just let me know!

Edited to add a few pix from today...

Yarrows...

Asiatic Lily...

Dawn

Dawn419

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe that a month has gone by since I last posted here...been busy with yardwork, family visits and house/critter sitting for our friend/neighbor.

More blooms from the last month...

Yellow Pond Iris...

Another Clematis bloom (from the same vine as the pic I posted on 5/07/08)...

Gaura...

Yellow Primrose...

Waterlily (in one of 3 "Container" ponds)...

Jack-in-the-Pulpit bloom...

Red Climbing Rose...

Close up of blooms...

Hollyhock (maybe Peaches-n-Cream)...

Yellowish Daylily...

White Asiatic Lily...

Yellow Asiatic Lily...

Hoya bloom...

Campanula blooms...

Close-up of blooms...

Butterfly Weed...

Re-blooming Daylily...