Lantana

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Score, today I found some nice Lantana.
Again on the side of the road just past were they mow up to.
I am saving the seeds. But I will be back to get a few plants.

100_7679.jpg

100_7680.jpg

Joe

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
I wish I had known you liked lantana - I could have sent you some :)
That's ok it grows wild here. I just thought this one had some nice color to it, compared to what I see all over.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have 3 different colors - the traditional orange/yellow, the pink/purple like what you brought home, and a third but it didn't do real godd this year so no blooms and I forget what it looked like :/

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks like candy!

We rarely see all the colors of Lantana out here; it seems the hardiest of the colors is the Golden Yellow/orange, the reds, purples, and multi-candy colors are not as freeze tolerant.

I like them, but I have never grown them. My mom kills plants, so I planted the Golden Lantana; it thrives with her!

Ron

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have a red and yellow one. my grandma used to have the pink and yellow ones and i fell in love with them years ago.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice colors on that one! Great for the butterflies!

Cuttings root very easy too. I take a few cuttings off mine in Fall, stick them in water and pot them up in Jan... then plant in the garden after frost is gone.

I'm not usually too good with the rooting thing, so this one MUST be easy...

6517_picture_4859.jpg

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
do they take root in the water? i usually just layer a branch down to the ground with a brick until it takes root.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
do they take root in the water? i usually just layer a branch down to the ground with a brick until it takes root.
I was going to do the layering thing, but how long can I wait buy the side of the road?

handstwiddlingthumbshgclr3ju.gif

I got some with some root today. they were dry as a bone by the time I got them home. I keep bags in the truck just for this reason.
I will plant the dry units. But my money is on the seeds. I will sprout now, protect over winter inside and have a great jump on spring!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, what was the verdict on the rooting water thing? :hu

Wow, ...really! I had no clue! I always thought they were a bit tempermental. I gotta go for a walk and see if I find a gas station somewhere! LOL

I really do want to try some...just water is so cool ! LOL I can do that well.

Oh Joe,

You had me so worried about sending you 'sticks' ....I mean the epiphyllum cuts. You really had me thinking that maybe I shouldn't have cut that long branch.

So I cut another piece! Just like yours, and guess what, one week later.....I have a sprout and roots!

sprout
21odkrq.jpg

root
x2m4d1.jpg

Now I feel better! And, now I have another Epiphyllum!!

Ron

Latest posts