Lantana

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is cool Ron.
I had faith in my cuttings as soon as I saw them.
You will have a few different colors soon. My sister in law also has some! Not sure of the colors she has yet! She has lots of tropicals.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
joe i imagine your dried lantana will look completely dead for a while and then sprout back out. they are pretty resilient.

my grandma used to root a lot of them but i dont know how many she got to take.

i think ive had my share of them rot in water in vases but i wasnt very good about changing water and i wasnt trying to root them either...

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beefy thanks, I was thinking of at least sticking some in my cuttings zone. The seed though sprouts so easy. If they did not mow the road sides here they would be every 2 feet along the roads.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes they are considered invasive.

you might as well try to root some cuttings from it anyway b/c i'm sure they will die back some if not entirely anyway if they really dried out that much, particularly if you had to remove it from a parent plant. they usually benefit from a trim when you transplant them. .

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I have lots of that candy colored Lantana. I really need to try to root more, I LOVE it! The massive amounts of humming birds I get during the summer is well worth it.

Joe, how do you luck out finding this stuff?!

I was excited about the 7' crepe myrtles we dug up... but you got the awesome purple berries stuff too...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
beefy said:
i'm totally potting up some purple berries to sell.
The actual berries or the bush?! I can't believe what the nursery charges?! I should be growing and selling these on craigslist.

(I do get $3 a pack of seeds on craigslist after I collect them in the fall and start selling the over the holidays. I guess people don't know better and just PAY!)

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the plants. i saw scads of tiny ones in the woods that would be a piece of cake to pot up.

it always amazes me what weeds they have for sale at lowes every year.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
beefy said:
i'm totally potting up some purple berries to sell.
The actual berries or the bush?! I can't believe what the nursery charges?! I should be growing and selling these on craigslist.

(I do get $3 a pack of seeds on craigslist after I collect them in the fall and start selling the over the holidays. I guess people don't know better and just PAY!)
Funny you mention selling the seed on Craigslist. I was thinking of doing that soon. I collected so far off my morning glories 15.3 grams of seed. At .014 gram per seed I figure I have 1,093 seeds!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lantana... I take 4 - 6 inch cuttings, remove the bottom leaves, roots from leaf node.
I keep them under florescent lights and about 80% will take.
They either turn brown and crisp, or show roots within about 2 - 3 weeks.

I started them from seed a few years ago, pretty easy from seed also.
Good luck... they should do well for you since it's a native.

Cuttings potted up in January, blooming in Feb...

6517_picture_3325.jpg

(I really have not been here all day... computer problems and I couldn't log out... good thing tho... I got so much done! LOL)

Latest posts