Lantana

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you Lavender those look very happy.

The plants I snagged have not been treated like plants. More like they were just surviving. I will still try cuttings but the leaf matter shows the neglect.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Joe,
you and the rest of the people on here are really starting to affect my life. ;) Now I must research plant propagation methods so that I can have a Lantana too. Good thing I got rid of the bunnies....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Joe,
you and the rest of the people on here are really starting to affect my life. ;) Now I must research plant propagation methods so that I can have a Lantana too. Good thing I got rid of the bunnies....
I will take that as a positive!
Propagation is not as hard as folks make it seem, if that were the case the Earth would be pert'ner naked!
Plants by nature want to reproduce. You just have to find out how each plant goes about it in nature.

This lantana may root easy, I have just finished doing about 10 or so cuttings. But I also collected seeds. They spread by birds eating the berry and depositing the seed some were else!

So I acted like the bird removed the pulp and skin from the seed and planted them.

I have been reading about you getting a bit frustrated with seeds.
Most cause of failed seed sprout is planting to deep!
Also the loss of moisture at one point in the sprouting process.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah, i usually let my seedlings get too dry at somepoint after they sprout. if you dont stay right on top of them and keep them watered or put them in a cookie tray or something so they will water themselves a lot of them will expire. rootings are easier for me for some reason. and then there are certain seeds that have to be stratified or scarified ... the growing season is winding down and you all have me itching to start new plants too but i dont want to overwinter any more than i have to...

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok so how deep for a pansy... I am on my second packet of seeds and not a sprout. I have them in a Ferry morse Seed Starting Mix in my little toilet paper tubes. This set up has worked for other seeds. So why not for the pansy....

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here this should make you feel better!

I copied this from the web.

"Pansies can be difficult to start from seed. They require cool temperatures (60 - 65 degrees F.) And darkness, to germinate. Covering the soil with black plastic will help germination, but the soil should be checked daily to make sure it doesnt dry out under the plastic. Once the shoots are visible, the plastic should be removed. Seeds generally germinate in 1-2 weeks, but allow 15 weeks from seeding to bloom."

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Obsessed,

What does the instructions on the pack of Pansy seeds say?

I would think this would be a tiny seed that just needs to be sown on the surface of the soil. Also be careful with watering as not to drown the seeds too deeply into the soil. A clear cover for humidity would lessen that by allowing you to not have to water right away after starting.

Ron :bouquet

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Joe, Guess what I went to the Health food store and accidentally took some clippings and so I read how to take a cutting and now have 12 little cutting of

DSC00714.jpg

I guess I will see how easy it is or not to take a cutting... I am really glad I got both kinds. I really really really really wanted that candy color of pink and white. But that was a small bush and the red and orange bush was swallowing it. I read in some Horticultural book about stealing plants. Basically the author said everything was fair game as long as you don't decimate the plants. I have to find the title but she made me laugh a lot. Through the whole book she talks of stealing this and rescuing that.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Joe, Guess what I went to the Health food store and accidentally took some clippings and so I read how to take a cutting and now have 12 little cutting of

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss107/zynx1234/DSC00714.jpg

I guess I will see how easy it is or not to take a cutting... I am really glad I got both kinds. I really really really really wanted that candy color of pink and white. But that was a small bush and the red and orange bush was swallowing it. I read in some Horticultural book about stealing plants. Basically the author said everything was fair game as long as you don't decimate the plants. I have to find the title but she made me laugh a lot. Through the whole book she talks of stealing this and rescuing that.
JOE, you are a BAAAAD influence! Now you have obsessed obsessing!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok so this is how I did the cutting thing.

I clipped them at nodes because that is where the hormones are and cut off the flowers so that the plant can focus on roots. Then I stuck them in potting soil and will keep them in shade till the show signs of new growth.

The book I read said internodal cutting... but that was more than I could understand (and I have a M.S. Degree).

Latest posts