Large Yellow Lily Name

Lady Slipper Lover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A few years back, I picked up some lily bulbs at a fair and planted them in my garden. I don't know what the lilies are called and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. They are a big yellow lily that is only open for a day. They're much bigger than my other daylilies, including my Tiger Lily that I got at the same place. They bloom every year at the same time that my Tiger Lily is in bloom.

IMG_6166.JPG

IMG_9999.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they look to me like a daylily variety and perhaps that will get you further in searching for them and being able to pin it down.

@catjac1975 is someone who may know it offhand. :) i'll nose about a bit and perhaps can find something like it myself... be back in a bit...

on this page the closest one looks to be the Going Bananas one (but now that i look closer it's not it - ok, now looking at the two pictures you posted i see that they are likely not the same flowers so now i'm confused :) ):

Last edited:

Lady Slipper Lover

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
they look to me like a daylily variety and perhaps that will get you further in searching for them and being able to pin it down.

@catjac1975 is someone who may know it offhand. :) i'll nose about a bit and perhaps can find something like it myself... be back in a bit...

on this page the closest one looks to be the Going Bananas one (but now that i look closer it's not it - ok, now looking at the two pictures you posted i see that they are likely not the same flowers so now i'm confused :) ):

Thank you so much for your help! That article you shared was very helpful! According to that article, I think my lilies are the Buttered Popcorn. I went out and measured mine, and they are 6 inches (to almost 7 inches) across on the bloom like that article had said. Also, these lilies are in poor soil and do great. Some of my other lilies and perennials has failed to return after a couple of years, along with not multiplying, whereas these lilies are the healthiest and oldest in the garden and has never failed to bloom.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! That article you shared was very helpful! According to that article, I think my lilies are the Buttered Popcorn. I went out and measured mine, and they are 6 inches (to almost 7 inches) across on the bloom like that article had said. Also, these lilies are in poor soil and do great. Some of my other lilies and perennials has failed to return after a couple of years, along with not multiplying, whereas these lilies are the healthiest and oldest in the garden and has never failed to bloom.

i'm glad that helped! :)

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder if daylilies with bigger flowers are a new trend. This photo doesn't do justice to my 'Primal Scream' daylily, but these flowers are about 2/3rds larger than any of my other daylily blooms, as well as almost lighting up with a florescent glow. My husband used to call these my 'Screaming Mimi's."

DaylilyPrimalScream22July2017 (6).jpg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if daylilies with bigger flowers are a new trend. This photo doesn't do justice to my 'Primal Scream' daylily, but these flowers are about 2/3rds larger than any of my other daylily blooms, as well as almost lighting up with a florescent glow. My husband used to call these my 'Screaming Mimi's."

View attachment 58740
I have used primal scream in my hybridizing. I have a brilliant plant called "Fire in the Garden." It sells every time it is in bloom.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 58740
I certainly am hybridizing for giant blooms.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have used primal scream in my hybridizing. I have a brilliant plant called "Fire in the Garden." It sells every time it is in bloom.
"Fire in the Garden" sounds amazing. (Love the name!) If you take a photo of it the next time it blooms, I'd love to see it!

In the meantime I discovered your website (https://tomcatfarm.com/daylily-photos) and pictures of some of your other daylilies. "Flamethrower" is pretty cool looking and aptly named too.

Last edited:

Latest posts