Lavender how to's?

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Now that there is all this fertile land just begging for me to garden in it, I'd really love to have a whole plot of lavender. Don't know how well it would do with our hot, humid summers; but I'd sure like to try. I could probably devote an eighth of an acre (or even more) to it.
Anyone grow lavender?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hot, humid, where? If you put your general location and growing zone into your profile it'll be easier to give specific information. :)

Lavender doesn't like wet soil, it would prefer things a bit on the dry side. Here's a page with general growing information. If you have any specific questions let me know.

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Hot, humid, where? If you put your general location and growing zone into your profile it'll be easier to give specific information. :)

Lavender doesn't like wet soil, it would prefer things a bit on the dry side. Here's a page with general growing information. If you have any specific questions let me know.
Sorry reinbeau, I corrected my signature and profile. It's SW Arkansas (zone 7B) aka h**l on earth in the summertime.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No apologies needed! :) It just makes things a bit easier.

As for your summers, that's exactly why you'll never see me living down there. I hate the heat! However, if you've got the right conditions, lavender may do well for you. The main thing is airflow and a good well-drained soil. The Cape Cod Lavender Farm mulches with a gritty sand - and they've got fields of it!

Up at a lavender talk I heard at the Common Ground Fair they discussed that very thing, using sand to mulch during the winter. For us frost heaving is a problem, the sand actually reflects the sun back so the earth doesn't unfreeze under the plants, and if it does, the sand fills in the voids and the roots aren't exposed.

Read up a bit on it and have fun, they're wonderful plants in the garden!

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it depends on the lavader you get, some have flowers, some are eatible, some are good scents, there are different colors, trust me, each one is unique. :D

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually, all have flowers and all are edible, most have a wonderful scent, but those that don't usually have unusually pretty flowers. I can get a few varieties to overwinter here, but it's tough, because the weather warms a bit in March, the plants start to grow, then they get nailed with a hard freeze - kills most of them on me :(

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Actually, all have flowers and all are edible, most have a wonderful scent, but those that don't usually have unusually pretty flowers. I can get a few varieties to overwinter here, but it's tough, because the weather warms a bit in March, the plants start to grow, then they get nailed with a hard freeze - kills most of them on me :(
my herbs live year round.
you might think thats goog but its not because they start growing and growing till they take all the space!
and I have to be the one yanting them out :hit

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Are there any lavender plants that can handle the extream cold and extream heat - sandy soil?

I looked on line earlier - and I could only find varieties for zone 5-8 (or 11?) either way, nothing for 4.
I would LOVE to have some growing in my yard!!!

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Are there any lavender plants that can handle the extream cold and extream heat - sandy soil?

I looked on line earlier - and I could only find varieties for zone 5-8 (or 11?) either way, nothing for 4.
I would LOVE to have some growing in my yard!!!
Zone 4b is pushing it for any lavender, they're marginally hardy for me here in zone 6a. They actually prefer a sweet, sandy to gritty soil. If you can find a microclimate in your garden, near a wall or something, you might be able to grow varieties of Lavandula angustifolia (known as English Lavender) such as Hidcote, Munstead or Lady. Here's a nice page on them.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have the sandy soil (I'm in the sandhills of Nebraska) we just get the cold as well.
Perhaps I can try a plant or three and see how it goes... I'd love to see lavender outside!

Latest posts