Lavender how to's?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Munstead is by repute the cold-hardiest (I keep meaning to try it). Having good free-draining soil, as it sounds like you do, will help a lot.

Just try a plant or two -- they are not expensive, just stick 'em in your most plausible spot (preferably something with good snow cover in winter, and you can mulch 'em heavily once the ground freezes, too) and see what happens.

I think people often take catalogs/books' hardiness ratings too seriously. I am basically USDA zone 4 here, but there are zone 4 things I don't appear to be able to grow due to winter damage, and I have had a zone 7 (!) perennial looking very happily hardy in the particular places it's planted for several years now.

Most plants are cheap. Experiment :)

Pat

bobbieguyette

Sprout
Reaction score
Im in zone 5 and would love to try lavender this year.I spotted the seeds yesterday in the grain supply store all the seeds are in now its better than christmas in there:D LOL!

sundance

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in middle tennessee, all clay and rock, so I planted 2 lavender plants in a large flower pot, they grew really well but no flowers, do i need to reset them now or in the spring or just leave them in the pot. I LOVE LAVENDER. :bouquet

wingnut1

Sprout
Reaction score
sgtsheart

In East Central MS (Zone 7B), many types of lavender do well in the heat and humidity! The key seems to be good drainage--plant them high, preferably on a slope, and keep them on the dry side. My spanish lavender reblooms many times throughout the summer if I cut it back after each flush of blooms. All of my lavenders are in full sun, and near a 75 acre pond - so there is a good air flow -- but they've also done well in a smaller solid fenced yard with little air flow. Munstead, Provence, and other perennial (in 7B) varieties do well - I don't have much experience with varieties that are annual in this area.

Oh! Thyme does really well here also! Again - planted high, a site with good drainage, and the results are amazing! Wooly thyme, lemon thyme, creeping, shrub varieties! Also - rosemary does very well ---

Good luck!

NixChicks

Sprout
Reaction score
I am a Lavender Lover too, and I grow mine in pots with great success. I overwinter the pots on my south facing sun porch. They do great.

Here's a wonderful site:

www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com

I use their soil recipe and its never failed.

HTH

Latest posts