Lavender Salt and other "flavored salts"

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This weekend at a market day and plant sale, I had the most delicious sandwich that was sprinkled with coarse"lavender salt". The salt was actually light purple in color. The sandwich was made of toasted sourdough, smoked salmon, a cream cheese smear and lavender salt sprinkled on top. :drool

How do you make it? Anyone know? I did a search first and could not find a recipe. :hu

Other flavored salt recipes are welcome too.

Thank you!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi big brown horse, :frow

Working on the same principal as vanilla & lavender SUGAR I would go for packing a dark container with coarse sea salt with lots of fresh lavender. Maybe trying to use one of the darker varieties as you say it was light purple in colour. I would think shaking it a lot would help. Salt draws moisture out of things it's stored with or rubbed upon (like salting meat).

I have never heard about it before. Hope this helps. My lavender is just beginning to flower so I will give it a try. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you Hattie!

It sounds like I will not need to dry the lavender out first then...same with other herbs I suppose too. HiDelight informed me that I can make vanilla salt and it is good too. Stick a vanilla bean into the coarse salt and set aside for a while.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
THAT SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool

I would love to make flavored salts.... Mmmmm

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes, they are!

Lets make sure to also add what they taste well with. For example I think the lavender salt tases very good with smoked salmon (that is all I know so far).

I will look up what HiDelight told me about vanilla salt and BRB.

ETA: seafood, vanilla salt is good on seafood. To make it, you put a vanilla bean into a container with coarse salt, sea or kosher and shake it up real good.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With the 'vanilla' bean you add, would you actually slice it up? How long would you let it sit?!

I bet you some of these salts would make AWESOME custom pretzels. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ooooooooooooh... I was just thinking a super sweet shortbread type cookie dipped in white chocolate and topped with a sprinkle of vanilla OR lavender sea salt. Sweet and salty, those are my favorite on snacks.

(P.s. - Don't forget I bake for a living! :lol: )

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
With the 'vanilla' bean you add, would you actually slice it up? How long would you let it sit?!

I bet you some of these salts would make AWESOME custom pretzels. ;)
I think you would slice it open and that is all it will take.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
ooooooooooooh... I was just thinking a super sweet shortbread type cookie dipped in white chocolate and topped with a sprinkle of vanilla OR lavender sea salt. Sweet and salty, those are my favorite on snacks.

(P.s. - Don't forget I bake for a living! :lol: )
Can I move in with you?? Pretty please?

The pretzel idea is good too. :drool If I were stranded on a deserted island and I could take one thing, it would be pretzels!

p.s I just noticed that cute duck up there was yours.:)

Latest posts