Lavender Salt and other "flavored salts"

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love lime salt in a cold beer :love - I think I will try to make some homemade lime salt and give the twang a break!!!

Do you think just the zest would be sufficient, do you think the salt would get cakey?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OMG a fellow after my own heart!! We Texans can't get enough Mexican beers!!

YOU HAVE A GREAT IDEA!! I would try it with the zest, in fact I am going to try it TODAY!! :thumbsup I am headed to WM to find some small containers for the different salts that we are going to make. :drool

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Girls! :frow

RIGHT! Here it is -- one recipe for Lavender Salt ( made with Dried flowers):-

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/lamb-chops-with-lavender-salt

I'm on track for more I hope :D [ I had to spend a long time in the garden this afternoon covering everthing up with fleece, glass & plastic as we are going to have a very cold night, maybe even a FROST...........! :barnie I finally got it all cosied up & safe. We are going to have 3-4 days of rainy cool days............Hmmmmm!!!! :hit ]

I will start sleuthing again ------ Oh this is fun. :celebrate I have always loved research. :lol: I'll be back in touch soon. :gig :gig :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie daaarling!! Thank you so much!! I love the recipe that uses the whole lavender flower and does not strain it out! I think that is what I was looking for, because the lavender salt I had was purple, so you CAN eat the flowers!!

Thank you!!!

LAVENDER SALT
Good on:
lamb chops
fish
(I'll keep adding what else)

Basically, it said to add dried lavender flowers that have been ground up (like in a coffee grinder) to your coarse salt and store in cupbord until it smells like lavender through and through.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi! It's "Lavender Sleuth" reporting back to Headquarters! :lol: :gig

:ep I have discovered a veritable mine of lavender recipes -- definitely totally ebible. :celebrate

For instance look at this:-

http://www.hopshop.co.uk/lavenderrecipes.asp

I will send you some more later -- I need something to eat etc. Must shut up the chickens & feed the cat........... :frow Bye for now, I'll be back later! :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I just got into this discussion in another online forum (they are for recipes) and they suggested citrus salt right away for beers and margiritas!!! LOL

I am alllllllllllllllllllllllllll about that now!!!!

Gotta get me some lime zest asap.... too bad I can't drive anywhere anymore in my car. :p

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Yeah, I just got into this discussion in another online forum (they are for recipes) and they suggested citrus salt right away for beers and margiritas!!! LOL

I am alllllllllllllllllllllllllll about that now!!!!

Gotta get me some lime zest asap.... too bad I can't drive anywhere anymore in my car. :p
:yuckyuck :lol:

Hey, its five o'clock somewhere! Pascifico here I come!:drool

Ahh margaritas!!! They were the demise of my blender, R.I.P :(!

O.k. I got the smallest ball jars from walmart 4 for about $4. I used coarse sea salt about 1/2 cup per jar.
In the first I did lime salt: zest of one lime and salt
In the 2nd one I did chive blossoms in salt (3 blossoms)
In the 3rd one I have rosemary in salt (one sprig crushed a bit)
The 4th one I'm saving for my lavender when it blooms.

I'm thinking of doing a sage salt too, I have tons of sage. :hu

I promise to let you all know when they are finished and ready to taste. I am just going to check it every now and then.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:thumbsup Oh, Hattie,

That was a great link! Thank you so much for your research!

(The lavender festival is coming up here in NW Washington soon...in Sequim (sp?) rhymes with swim, they are famous for it.)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh dear!!!

There is a lavender farm here in NC outside Chapel Hill, to whom I have emailed with the owner and she had sent me a link to a whole part of their website with lavender recipes... I must go find it for you guys... it will probably have more then salt listed though ;)

Latest posts