Lavender Salt and other "flavored salts"

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bingo!!!

http://sunshinelavenderfarm.com/recipes.php

Just for you Big Brown Horse!!!

"Lavender Margaritas

Notes: Whirl in batches, pouring each batch into a pitcher. Stir the coconut milk before measuring it. You can use plain sugar or coarse salt to garnish glass rims. (Dont have all of the ingredients handy and want easy Lavender Margaritas? With a can of frozen margarita mix, follow the recipe on the can and add lavender!)

Makes: About 7 cups or 10 servings

1 cup tequila (To taste, which could mean not at all.)
cup blue curacao or other orange-flavored liqueur
1 cup canned coconut milk
1/3 cup lime juice
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries
2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
4 cups ice cubes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon fresh or dried culinary lavender blossoms*
Lime wedge
Lavender sprigs to make it pretty

In blender, combine tequila, curacao, coconut milk, and lime juice. Cover and turn to high speed, then gradually add raspberries, blueberries, and ice. Whirl until margarita mixture is smooth and slushy.

Put sugar and lavender blossoms in a small bowl. Rub with your fingers or mash with a spoon to release some of the lavender flavor. Rub glass rims with lime wedge to moisten. Dip rims in lavender sugar (or coarse salt), coating evenly.

Pour margaritas into sugar (or salt) -rimmed glasses. Garnish with lavender sprigs.

*If you REALLY like the lavender flavor, take a teaspoon (or more, or less, to taste) of culinary lavender florets and place in a tea ball to infuse the coconut milk overnight or a few hours before preparing.

Prep Time: 12 minutes"

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem, S C O R E ! ! ! Woo Hoo!! :cool:

I am going be the coolest at the BBQ this Friday when I make lavender margaritas!!!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I have to report for my fellow beer and margarita lovers that my lime salt smells FANTASTIC and it has only been what a day? It still tastes more like salt than lime though...I'll give it a few more days.

The chive blossom salt tasts more like chives and smells wonderful too. It may be ready sooner.

The rosemary salt doesn't smell that strong, and I'm surprised. It still just tastes like salt too.

I'll report back in a week or so. They look amazing and I think they would make wonderful gifts, very easy.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Well, I have to report for my fellow beer and margarita lovers that my lime salt smells FANTASTIC and it has only been what a day? It still tastes more like salt than lime though...I'll give it a few more days.

The chive blossom salt tasts more like chives and smells wonderful too. It may be ready sooner.

The rosemary salt doesn't smell that strong, and I'm surprised. It still just tastes like salt too.

I'll report back in a week or so. They look amazing and I think they would make wonderful gifts, very easy.
I was thinking about doing some flavored salt shakers as gifts also!! How exciting, can't wait to find out how they turn out... I will start my own lime salt this weekend.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
big brown horse I am sooo glad you posted about this subject. I have loads of lavender, and don't know what to do with it all. I am going out right now and will pick it and make some salt. :weee
I think it will make great gifts along with some recipes gleaned from this thread. Put it in a nice box wrapped with simple paper and some lavender sprigs.
I'll also try the other salts mentioned, except that I will use lemon peels to make lemon salt, since we have lots of lemons but no limes. I might try some other herbs too, like basil.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
big brown horse I am sooo glad you posted about this subject. I have loads of lavender, and don't know what to do with it all. I am going out right now and will pick it and make some salt. :weee
I think it will make great gifts along with some recipes gleaned from this thread. Put it in a nice box wrapped with simple paper and some lavender sprigs.
I'll also try the other salts mentioned, except that I will use lemon peels to make lemon salt, since we have lots of lemons but no limes. I might try some other herbs too, like basil.
Thanks!

During Thanksgiving at our house my Mom sets up a wreath making table and we all make our wreaths for the holidays. SOO much fun, the kids love it too. Well, I think this would be a fun project to do with family and friends too. Everyone bring something they grew and a container of salt, some hand made lables and jute string to hold them on.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have been making wreaths for years also. I have often used dried lavender in my wreaths. As well as other dried material.

Latest posts