Lavender

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Has anyone had a lavender flavored food? I have about 3 times came across recipes for lavender flavored baked goods. Like lavender and lemon macarons, lavendar and orange bunt cake, lavender and lemon pound/bunt cake, and lavender cookies. If yes does it taste just like lavender smells?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had lavender in baked goods mainly cookies. It's hard to describe. It's not so much the flavor but the aroma that you get. My Herbs de Provence also contains lavender and I use it for meats. You can taste the lavender subtly.

Mary

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have had lavender in baked goods mainly cookies. It's hard to describe. It's not so much the flavor but the aroma that you get. My Herbs de Provence also contains lavender and I use it for meats. You can taste the lavender subtly.

Mary

Interesting, did you like the cookies?
I had no idea lavender was in Herbs De Provence because i've never used it in my life :lol: Whenever a recipe said Herbs De Provence my mom just told me to put some of all of the green leafy herbs.....rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram usually.

I'm trying to justify putting lavender in my raised herb bed....We are making it next year. I kind of have 2 schools of thought either a raised box bed filled with dirt or a raised box bed filled with pots so i can take some herbs in for the winter. I will figure that part out. I do like lavender I just wasnt sure if it useful for food stuff.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, just used in a shortbread cookie, very light flavor but it is noticeable. no objection to me at all. have also had in some chocolate bar (mixed in with chili flakes, pistachios, candied lemon peel) was good.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The lavender was in shortbread cookies also like Flowerbugs. What's not to love about a shortbread cookie? They were delicious.

My Herbs de Provence has thyme, marjoram, savory, rosemary, basil, sage, and lavender.

I don't know how much you would be using lavender in cooking. It takes such a small amount that if you are growing it just for that it may not be justified.

I don't use mine in cooking at all. I have it for the pollinator effect to attract bees. Due to limited space in my garden I grow the dwarf variety Hidcote.

Mary

misfitmorgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Basically it comes down to it goes in the herb bed thingy or it goes in a flower bed out front..I'm having lavender either way😆

The flower beeds really need an over haul, they have not been properly tended for about 5yrs aside from the one closest ot the house which i took completely down to bare dirt last year.

The hardest part is knowing what plants are in there because it is all thick grass and plants and a couple ornamental grasses. So the choices are either dig up all up and save all bulbs then plant the ones that look similar together or wait until late summer so i can see what is what...but by then its so hot I don't wanna. Either way something needs done with the other beds this year.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found lavender to be impossible to keep over the winter here. Even the hardier types. But if I could grow it, I sure would because I love the plant. I bought some herbs de Provence when I was out in Oregon a couple years ago, from a lavender grower. I tried using it on something--grilled chicken, maybe. I didn't really care for the taste. I'd rather just smell it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have found lavender to be impossible to keep over the winter here. Even the hardier types. But if I could grow it, I sure would because I love the plant. I bought some herbs de Provence when I was out in Oregon a couple years ago, from a lavender grower. I tried using it on something--grilled chicken, maybe. I didn't really care for the taste. I'd rather just smell it.

we keep it here ok, so perhaps you can adopt our methods? we get down much colder yet still have lavender growing.

we perch it up about six inches or more from the surrounding area. so you know it isn't getting drowned. we do have it planted next and in areas that flash flood when it rains heavy enough. it still does ok. we have a lot of it. i know it isn't the cold doing it in. we have pretty harsh winters at times. it doesn't care...

also it is a full sun loving plant.

Last edited:

Latest posts