Lawn Top Dressing

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
gauthierspeeps said:
We have 3-4 acre front yard that is pretty much open but dotted with trees. Ever since we have lived here I have been trying to figure out how to have this whole area covered in a flower.
We have tried wildflowers to no avail. So now I want to try Clover. The pretty Crimson that is dotted along our GA highways, or any and or all of the colors of the Clover.
Does anyone have any suggestions, tips or hints that can help me acheive my front yard full of flowers.
My first tip is that you need to recognize that the photos you see on the labels of "Wildflower Meadow In A Can" and so forth are TOTALLY COMPLETLEY HUGELY BOGUS ;) They do NOT represent anything that you can easily establish in a typical lawn without a huge amount of work, some years of waiting and working, and quite frankly *avoidance* of any cheap 'wildflower meadow in a can' type products ;)

Also recognize that flowers, virtually all of them (but see below), are significantly taller than people mow their lawn grass. Thus, if you want purty flowers in your lawn you have to NOT MOW. (Or mow just once in early spring and once int he fall). Is this acceptible to you.

If it is, next time you are driving down the highway with the lovely wildflower type meadows or solid blocks of crimson clover or whatever you're admiring at the moment, pull over onto the shoulder somewhere safe and hop out real quick and walk up to the actual patch of flowers. Take a close, hard look. You will see that what appears to be 'all flowers' from a distance is actually in large part grasses, bare dirt, and what people conventionally call weeds. And quite messy-looking for much of the year. (The exception is a stand of Penngift crown vetch, but that is not suitable for a yard, believe me!). Is the close-up appearance acceptible to you -- remembering that you will be viewing your yard up close and not from fifty feet away at 60 mph ;)

Still want to do it? (I'd really really recommend starting with just a limited patch for a few years til you decide you definitely like it)

Ok, for something like clovers, just rake the heck out of your lawn with a metal bow rake (not leaf rake) to expose little patches of bare soil, then overseed. You may have to mail-order red clover seed, but some other clovers are economically purchaseable in quantity at feed stores. Heck, garden centers here have started carrying white clover in bulk :)

Some other flowers can be overseeded successfully like this, but all are basically annuals, and you will have a lowe enough germination rate that you'd spend a LOT of money on seed to do the full yard.

But to get the full-tilt-boogie flowering-prairie look, you would have to basically kill ALL of the existing grass, improve the soil, seed or plant lotsa expensive plugs and plants, mulch well, water religiously almost every day for the first whole season, then continue to manage carefully as time goes by. It ain't easy.

There is an alternative that I would recommend to you. Let low-growing flowering weeds into your lawn... that is, no more weed-n-feed or preen or any other kind of herbicide whatsoever. Overseed some clovers. Look aroudn and see what else grows and flowers well in peoples' lawns in your area, and try to get some of that if you don't have it already. Around here, good candidates are cow-vetch, bugle, hawkweed, chicory (despite mowing, it often flowers, albeit at ground level, as do daisies) and heaven help me for saying this but also bindweed (I am not sure I'm recommending such a thing, but it *do* have purty flowers ;)) Dandelions are, of course, lovely flowering lawn plants :)

The great thing about lawn weeds is that they are VERY good at establishing themselves ;) And you can still mow your lawn.

Just a thought,

Pat

Reaction score
Pat,

I did exactly what you said about raking and putting the seed in a smaller place. My DH and I sowed in about 2 lbs of Red Crimson Clover in our chain-link fenced dog and chicken area. So we will see what happens.

There are a few yards here that are exactly what I want. So the next step for me I think is to go talk to them and see how they have done it. I also found out from a neighbor that some of the farmers sow the clover for the nitrogen. So I guess I am going to have to do a lot of asking right around here to get it right.

We don't want to have to mow it but twice a year, so I think if we can get it right it will be beautiful and my DH won't have to work so hard on his weekends off. Or I need to learn to drive the tractor to mow...yeeks that will be fun :lol:

Thanks again for the post, Gloria

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
gauthierspeeps said:
I did exactly what you said about raking and putting the seed in a smaller place. My DH and I sowed in about 2 lbs of Red Crimson Clover in our chain-link fenced dog and chicken area. So we will see what happens.
Heh, I can tell you what will happen to the seed sown in the chicken run, if it is also going to still be used by chickens ;)

Good luck and post pictures of your yard when it is in flower :)

Pat

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am obsessed with the idea of putting a few thousand square feet of crimson clover in. Please keep us updated on its progress.

d.k

Sprout
Reaction score
* Hey, Nifty-- Made it over here. How is your top-dressing experiment going?? It was a staple in getting my lawn going. Even a tiny amout a few times a year really seemed to help. Since we are pretty alkaline, our formula was 2-3 parts topsoil, 1 part peat moss, 1/2 part compost and a few other minerals the lawn needed stirred in.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it odd that we spend so much time on a crop that we just mow down? :lol: I read that in a magazine once...that Americans spend more money and time on their lawns than any other crop...just to mow it down.

I would like to overseed my lawn with some more nutritious grasses for various reasons. I would like more white clover for my bees, I would like a grass that is better forage for my chickens and the sheep I want to get, and I would like lawn cuttings that are higher in nitrogen for my garden mulch.

Any ideas of what grasses would be best for these types of endeavors? Orchard grass and clover?

Nifty, the topdressing of bare spots is certainly interesting and I plan to do a little experimenting of my own...thanks for the great idea! :)

d.k

Sprout
Reaction score
* So true, Beekissed! I am moving in a month, and one thing I wish I could take is my lawn!! I have worked hard and spent much in the past 5 years taking it from nearly straight sand to nearly 1OO% lawn. But, I guess I can take what I've learned instead, eh? Can't help much with your project, but, I know you need to be super-careful with the seed you get if your sheep and critters are grazing it. Low endophyte is vital in that case, and seems kind of tough to find nowadays!!

d.k

Sprout
Reaction score
*Sorry it took so long, Beekissed, "technical difficulties". Endophytes are alkaloid fungus, a natural pest defense in fescue grasses, but they can cause serious problems in any animal that eats the fescue in quantity. Here's one link: www.goatworld.com/articles/nutrition/endophyte.shtml A lot more info is available. The trick is to find what are called "E-" (endophyte minus) grasses and keep them "E-"!! Here's a little on eradication of "E+": http://members.fortunecity.com/rags2/id148.htm Look for: Tall Fescues "Festuca arundinace". This one is a mineral advertisement-- but, it gives some symtomology: www.beeflinks.com/fescue.htm I'm pretty interested in the topic (duh!) and have more links-- some are pretty "technical" (meaning dull reading!) but, these ought to give you a head's up. The main problem is the defense aspect works well against lawn pests for a pretty lawn-- but, it's very bad for a grazing pasture. If you hope to have a "dual purpose" swath of grass, be very careful about seed choice.

Latest posts