Lazy Or Foolproof

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
When knockouts went on clearance I bought about 20 all different colors. None survived. I found Rugsa roses at Christmas shop for $5.99 planted 4 all made it thought winter, hoping for flowers this spring
It has more to do with the timing of the planting of the roses. They should be planted i spring to get acclimated for the winter. Also, I say it again and again. Sellers sell plants inappropriate for the climate. The are knock off for all sorts of products. Why not plants? How much money have you "saved" buying plants that do not grow.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It has more to do with the timing of the planting of the roses. They should be planted i spring to get acclimated for the winter. Also, I say it again and again. Sellers sell plants inappropriate for the climate. The are knock off for all sorts of products. Why not plants? How much money have you "saved" buying plants that do not grow.
TOO TRUE!!! (except for the tomato plants that were fused together at the roots and I separated them and they thrived)
I didn't know that Spring planting was vital for roses. Thanks!
Did I mention that when I separated the black irises and pulled out the pieces from the bush that they had been growing into I found a separate rose? I planted into in my cistern "nursery" bed, so we'll see if it makes it. It looked good this morning. I heavily watered all of the roses with the 4+ inches of rain we got over the weekend. :cool:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything on clearance is half dead and I refuse to "baby" a plant.

Icertuche, I too move my plants around. It drives my husband crazy so I do it when he's not around. This way he never notices. I also never toss out a plant without his knowledge. ;)

Petunias have never done well for me. They get so leggy and ugly. If I trim them then I have nothing left for weeks. :rolleyes:

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that this is a good location for petunias.

They seem to like our aridity .. adid ... did .. idditty!

I grew Schizanthus, once. It was supposed to be okay in shade but it was probably too much shade for it and didn't grow all that well. It really was unusual close-up but probably appeared to be a petunia to people walking by. I have store-bought Calibrachoa lately but it is much like a petunia ... except with smaller flowers.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_0803.JPG
Now Steve, I will have to disagree with you that calibrachoa is like a petunia. I like and can grow calibrachoa! Not so with petunias.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Calis also don't have to groomed to keep them neat. They self dead head.

Pretty yard Mary! Love that trough. Now you need a horse to go with it.

Latest posts