Lazy Or Foolproof

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been growing my own plants of every kind forever. Another problem with purchased plants, especially the sale rack, where they have been sitting since expiration, is that they are pot bound. I have seen remodelers on tv adding plants to the landscape where they plop a potted plant into the ground with the only prep being digging a hole. Nearly every plant will benefit from the bound roots being aggressively disturbed before planting. If you are still willing to buy a rose bush late in the season, mulch it heavily in the fall for added winter protection. I live near Rosalind, a national rose seller. They carefully rate their plants in all sorts of categories. Many of the gorgeous hybrid tea roses that I an so attracted to needed more winter coverage than I could keep up with. What I have left are only the most robust cold hardy plant that need no winter care. Do you know that many rosarians practice rose tipping for the winter? They dig a hole near the plant, loosen it and bury it for the winter. Speaking of roses-going out to finally do my spring pruning.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here they put a wire cage around fig trees and fill with dried leaves and cover with plastic. I wonder if that would work for roses. Here I just cut the dead wood in the fall and winter. A fungal spray helpful during a few weeks of rain. The only rose here is a forgotten blaze at the edge of the woods that only the grands see and pick the flowers. I might take a few cuttings or layer to get some starts. I have better luck laying long canes on the ground in disturbed dirt and covering with a rock. This works good for blackberries too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here they put a wire cage around fig trees and fill with dried leaves and cover with plastic. I wonder if that would work for roses. Here I just cut the dead wood in the fall and winter. A fungal spray helpful during a few weeks of rain. The only rose here is a forgotten blaze at the edge of the woods that only the grands see and pick the flowers. I might take a few cuttings or layer to get some starts. I have better luck laying long canes on the ground in disturbed dirt and covering with a rock. This works good for blackberries too.
I have done it for roses with fair results.

Latest posts