Left-over Turkey - what's cookin'?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm?

First quart of broth off the bones is in the freezer. Replaced the bones, water, fresh veggies - 2nd quart of broth went over a cup of split peas that have been soaking overnight.

DW :rolleyes:, "What? You are making more food?" Yeah well, what am I gonna do with that platter full of dark & white meat? First thoughts -- shepherd's pie, pasta casserole . . .

I'm afraid I'm gonna get the eyes again
Eye_rolling_smiley.gif

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds good to me, Steve.

My wife and I just got back late yesterday from cooking Thanksgiving dinner for her father who will 93 in a couple of weeks. Her sister made three great desserts for that meal plus did all the cooking for us while we were visiting. It worked out pretty well with a clear division of responsibilities. It used to be a lot more interesting until we hit on that division of responsibilities. Our veggies for that Thanksgiving meal were green beans, corn, and sweet potatoes that I grew.

Anyway, where this ties in to your post, our normal standard for Saturday night is a vegetable soup I canned. We normally add chicken left over from Thursday night but since we werent here Thursday, no cooked chicken. But we do have left over turkey. So tonights meal will be turkey vegetable soup with cheese and crackers. Easy to fix and not many dishes to wash.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a 12 pound turkey for 15 people. Not enough. they picked the carcass clean! I tossed the bones and wings and few scraps in the kettle boiled off what meat I could get and used the resulting broth and meat bits with some off MIL's homemade egg noodles. Yum-o. Turkey and noodles..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have been up since 3am tending the smoking
the chickens came off a couples ago, butts went in at 6am, turkeys will be going on in a bit....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You cookin' for an army, Major'!

I claimed that I never had to deal with such a small turkey as I did this year. However, I may have made that claim a number of times already. Never have to cook for crowds but I do have to contend with DW who often lines up so many pots and pans that we have trouble with getting everything cooked. We have a 2nd fridge but no 2nd kitchen stove!

Of course, the front door was thrown open after awhile
7cb7bf46_zpsaeef79b3.gif
!

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
You cookin' for an army, Major'!

I claimed that I never had to deal with such a small turkey as I did this year. However, I may have made that claim a number of times already. Never have to cook for crowds but I do have to contend with DW who often lines up so many pots and pans that we have trouble with getting everything cooked. We have a 2nd fridge but no 2nd kitchen stove!

Of course, the front door was thrown open after awhile http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just 4 Fun/7cb7bf46_zpsaeef79b3.gif!

Steve
no army here...since we smoke on thanksgiving and christmas holidays and the freezer was empty figure it was a good time to start re-stocking for winter time meals.
pulled the chickens, equaled to 4 big zip lock bags
the butts will equal to 4 bags again
and one turkey will be froze as well
and don't forget 4 bags of bones to make stock with....

and you are so right about needing a second stove during the holidays

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a small oven, and things always get lined up waiting for the oven. This year, the green bean casserole was not even hot in the center! Oh well, it is good as leftovers. We had a 15 lb turkey, and only 6 of us here. 4 of us are not big eaters, so we barely put a dent in it. I am never hungry after spending a lot of time cooking, anyway.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let's see had an 11lbs bird for 6 adults we cleaned it pretty good. Lined the roasting pan with carrots, celery, onion, with fresh rosemary, thyme & whole garlic cloves when we roasted our bird. Saved that carcass. Wife's cousin cooked a 15lbs bird for her immediate family and were kind enough to save us that carcass too. They ended up with 5 adults around that & left plenty of meat on the bone. Pulled both of them out of the freezer yesterday & got cooking. Picked off whatever we could & saved it for later. Put both carcasses in the big stock pot & simmered them all day yesterday. Strained them and now have the pot the extra fridge last night so we can skim the fat off. Plan is to add fresh veggies, noodles & the meat we picked off for soup & freeze it. We've got over half of our big stock pot (which started its life as a turkey deep frying pot) with just broth currently.

Once that's all done, I've got a good amount of long bones from deer camp sitting in the freezer that I've gotta roasted to make stock with. Get that canned up as venison stock & we'll be in pretty good shapes it's what we have left to do with leftovers.

We've been trying to make the most out of everything we have even if it's something simple like stock. Stretches the dollar that much more & IT TASTES SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just finishing lunch and since it is nearly noon, that is an indication of how much time I spent making it :p.

Peasant food, bean soup but I worked quite awhile getting onions, celery, & potatoes into it. A little of the T-day ham went in this one - about turkeyed out.

I spent a lot of time hovering over the pot so I could finish cooking it without having it too watery. Then half of it went in the blender and came back to the pot with a big spoonful of cream cheese. Now it was really heavy and I stood by adding the half-n-half while reheating.

The dog is asleep in the sunshine coming thru the window. But, I've got a last slice of pie to finish. . . .

Steve

Latest posts