Left-over Turkey - what's cookin'?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't do anything fancy. We didn't even have to cook this Thanksgiving but I got a great deal so I bought 2 turkeys. They weren't frozen so I made one the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Next day we just ate the leftovers of everything from Saturday. I froze the meat and the gravy--which my DH thinks is a food group--and we'll make Turkey Hash with it, which is just Turkey, Gravy, onions, carrots and celery cooked in a crockpot. Open a can of cranberry relish, but a spoon in it and call it dinner.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
This year , I took the cannibalized turkey carcass and boiled the rest of the meat off the bones, separated the meat from the bones and made a deep dish turkey pot pie out of it. :drool I usually make head cheese out of the carcass meat... all one need to do is add a package of jellatin, to the meat + it's liquid, let set until firm then slice off a piece and pour a splash of white vinager over it and enjoy with a slice of bread. :weee

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our favorite thing to do with left over bird is to shred it, mix it with noodles, throw in some peas, and drizzle with olive oil. It doesn't matter what type of bird it is, that's how we use it! We also put some Bragg's nutritional yeast on it. (It tastes like cheese! Now who wouldn't like the taste of cheese?) :drool

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hash is a real common thing to do with beef roast.

Turkey also. Chopped up meat, potatoes, carrots fried in a heavy skillet. A couple, three eggs dropped in on top and the skillet is covered. If the eggs aren't quite cooked in a few minutes, they can be scooped out along with the meat and veggies they are nesting in and go in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

Everyone has an egg and the hash that arrive at the table with your choice of Tabasco sauce or ketchup.

Head cheese! I never thought of adding gelatin! Now, why wouldn't that have occurred to me? Grandma often had head cheese in the fridge . . . or, it might have been an icebox.

"Bragg's nutritional yeast can be added to gravy" . . . Whoah! See, I don't think you can quite do that with cheese. I like to put cheese in most everything. I'll have DD check this out.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had the yummiest turkey stew with dumplings this evening. It has thyme and sweet potato in it, so it was sweet and savory without that "ugh, not the turkey again" feeling. It was so simple and quick, and all the flavors just went perfectly together.

Here's the recipe, although by now, I'm sure that leftover turkey is getting close to up and walking away! :lol: Next time you do turkey, you ought to try this...

2 tbsp of olive oil, for sauteing
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 medium carrots, peeled and cubed
2 stalks of celery, chopped small
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 tsp dried thyme
1 quart of chicken stock
3 cups of leftover turkey, chopped

2 cups of flour
4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1 cup of milk

Saute the first 6 ingredients in a dutch oven or stock pot for about 5 minutes or so until just tender. Add in the next 3 ingredients and simmer. Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl, then stir in milk until a soft dough forms. Drop dough by the spoonful into simmering stew. Sprinkle top of dumplings with a little more thyme or pepper for looks. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered, then another 10 minutes with the lid on.

I found this recipe in a magazine at the dentist's office yesterday and am really glad I did. It is definitely a keeper! This fed the four of us with just enough for leftovers for DH's lunch tomorrow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like sweet potatoes, Journey.

And, I like dumplings!

The thyme must be just to deal with the turkey tedium.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Turkey Tedium. Ground Beef Grumbles. Chicken Challenges. Pork Pathos.....................Bacon Bliss!!!!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Turkey Tedium. Ground Beef Grumbles. Chicken Challenges. Pork Pathos.....................Bacon Bliss!!!!
8721_thca9juv9j.jpg

Latest posts