Lemon balm

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
It also makes a great iced tea both lemon balm and mint. I crush up about a half a cup or so of mint leaves, a half a cup of lemon balm, but in a jar of water and let it sit out for a few hours. Serve it chilled with ice and a mint leaf and it's almost a mojito. :cool:
Just a little more, "G rated?" ;)

Do you add sugar? I have found that mint steeped gently in warmed/warming water has a sweetness to it. Well, my garden mint does, anyway. :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
OaklandCityFarmer said:
It also makes a great iced tea both lemon balm and mint. I crush up about a half a cup or so of mint leaves, a half a cup of lemon balm, but in a jar of water and let it sit out for a few hours. Serve it chilled with ice and a mint leaf and it's almost a mojito. :cool:
Just a little more, "G rated?" ;)

Do you add sugar? I have found that mint steeped gently in warmed/warming water has a sweetness to it. Well, my garden mint does, anyway. :)
A little G Rated. Sometimes not so much though. haha.

Don't really add sugar. Comes out fine.

calee

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I love fresh lemony smells, and lemon balm just makes me happy. It's wonderful with chamomille as an evening tea. I've also used it for bath tea... you just crush it, stuff it into a muslin bag, tie the bag shut, hang it under the water spout while the tub fills, and then let it soak in the water.

Herbally, it's considered both a nerve tonic and sedative, so it's good when your nervous system is stressed (either physically or emotionally). I've known folks who are prone to panic attacks, tension headaches, and bouts of depression swear by it. It's antiviral, too, so it's also a good choice for viruses that are nerve-related (like chicken pox, shingles, or cold sores).

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Mine is in a container with chives and greek oregano. I have to keep my edibles surrounded by chicken wire or the squirrels, cats, geese, and rabbits eat/ruin them all.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SJ1 said:
Mine is in a container with chives and greek oregano. I have to keep my edibles surrounded by chicken wire or the squirrels, cats, geese, and rabbits eat/ruin them all.
I have all three of those planted in my garden and have plenty to share with even the wildlife! All of them are prolific growers, but if you want to keep them in chicken wire then go for it!

SJ1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
It's used as a healing tonic for wounds. Very soothing. Just make a strong tea from the fresh leaves.

chickaD

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We use our prolific lemon balm in anything we want a gentle lemony flavor: salad, chicken & veggie stir-fry, or added to a cup of regular tea while steeping.

Latest posts