Lemongrass...mine died over the winter...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is lemongrass a tender perennial? I had never heard this but I still protected mine well with plenty of mulch hay to keep it safe from the weather. Should it have survived?

Does it just appear to be dead right now but will put up new shoots soon? I've never grown it and the plant was huge and healthy when put out late last summer.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's only hardy in zones, I dunno you could look it up, maybe 9-10. I'd be astonished if it could overwinter outdoors in WV. Time to make another trip to the market <g>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The lemongrass you can buy in the produce section will root quite easily in perlite or just water.

It might survive from October until April in the produce bin of your fridge. I haven't tried that but I'm surprised how long many things can stay alive in there . . . no, I'm not talking about mold :rolleyes:.

I've had celeriac make it right thru the winter . . . Of course, the celeriac will get thru the winter under a heavy mulch of soil and pine needles and probably do just fine in a bag of peat moss in the basement, like where most of my dahlia roots are sleeping right now. That might be an idea for lemongrass, also - peat (or sand), in the basement.

Lemongrass isn't a favorite . . . and, I'm staying out of that lemon balm thread. There's a patch in my yard anyway. I will encourage people to try lemon verbena, tho'! Takes carrying a pot in and out of the house for the winter but has a real nice flavor :).

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to grow it in Oklahoma and it always came back but the ground has to really warm up before it starts again. It's about a couple of weeks after the first poke salat shoots show.Our ground would occasionally freeze but never more than a few inches deep. Letting the ground get on the dry side just before the first frost seems to help it come back sooner. The rest of the time it's impossible to overwater in well drained soil.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have to tear out and move a huge clump of lemon grass so I will have shoots available soon. Check my post in the exchange.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, love your name! :lol: So, there is hope for my lemon grass? When the ground warms up it may sprout anyway? That would be lovely, as I love to add it to soaps.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So, there is hope for my lemon grass? When the ground warms up it may sprout anyway? That would be lovely, as I love to add it to soaps.
I am in Zone 9/10 and my Lemon Grass has yet to really "wake up". It stays green all year here, but only puts out new growth when it is HOT!! We have yet to hit 90 here. They say next week it will get 90 or better.

I'd give it a chance, you could pull up a few stalks and see if they will root in water on a sunny window sill. Then you will know if they are just dormant or...

have gotten too cold over the winter, and are now
RestinPeaceSmilie.gif

Latest posts