Let me Clarify ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. It's because I did not know how to spell it once writing grocer list.

lol i would have gone with oar dervs. Mom, i'll ask her... lol... she just said "Uhhh!" then she said "OD is enough." then she said "little hot doggies". *hearts* lol she's so funny.

same way we have had "little bread cubs" for croutons... we still laugh about that one. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
lol i would have gone with oar dervs. Mom, i'll ask her... lol... she just said "Uhhh!" then she said "OD is enough." then she said "little hot doggies". *hearts* lol she's so funny.

same way we have had "little bread cubs" for croutons... we still laugh about that one. :)
OFF THE TOP OF MMY HHEAD IN THE SPELLING I KNEW oops there were some ou's in there. Spell check has made me a terrible speller. I just go for it without thinking. Add to that I am terrible typist and my key board doubles letters. So For a long time I just wrote it weird for the fun of it. Still can't spell it without cheating.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So For a long time I just wrote it weird for the fun of it. Still can't spell it without cheating.
Cheating? That characterization of intrepid research flies in the face of the idea that you don't have to know every answer, just know where to find it.

I'm often using smaller devices with my awkward digitS'. If a stylus works on it, I use that. It's still one-finger typing and still awkward and error prone. I miss one letter and hit another. Autocomplete to my rescue! But then, the stylus may still miss the suggestion.

Autocorrect to my rescue! Well ... maybe, but it gets me into trouble almost as often as it's correct.

Add to these my strong tendency to stop and think, and then, repeat the last word. The most common is "the the." Stuttering ... maybe :confused:.

Then, there is the reliance on cliches. Yes, it's mostly just a lazy way of thinking but that doesn't necessarily mean that I have stopped thinking! I'm trying to communicate, after all.

I once knew the wife of a bright, creative fellow who disparaged people who used cliches. Well, that might be justified but this bright college professor flew off the road on his Harley motorcycle and banged himself up so bad that he never regained consciousness. His son has much of the same personality ... now if he can just stay out of prison and continue to make a living for a young family, maybe we can call him a success.

The "eggcorns" that the poem highlights are mostly misconceptions. Knowing how to pronounce words can be tuff. Culture evolves - not many of us know anything about the work of a tenter and stretching panels of fabric up on hooks.

The author of the poem is in the UK. Maybe that's why this line is a mystery to me. What do you suppose "You think like a damp squid" means?

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cheating? That characterization of intrepid research flies in the face of the idea that you don't have to know every answer, just know where to find it.

I'm often using smaller devices with my awkward digitS'. If a stylus works on it, I use that. It's still one-finger typing and still awkward and error prone. I miss one letter and hit another. Autocomplete to my rescue! But then, the stylus may still miss the suggestion.

Autocorrect to my rescue! Well ... maybe, but it gets me into trouble almost as often as it's correct.

Add to these my strong tendency to stop and think, and then, repeat the last word. The most common is "the the." Stuttering ... maybe :confused:.

Then, there is the reliance on cliches. Yes, it's mostly just a lazy way of thinking but that doesn't necessarily mean that I have stopped thinking! I'm trying to communicate, after all.

I once knew the wife of a bright, creative fellow who disparaged people who used cliches. Well, that might be justified but this bright college professor flew off the road on his Harley motorcycle and banged himself up so bad that he never regained consciousness. His son has much of the same personality ... now if he can just stay out of prison and continue to make a living for a young family, maybe we can call him a success.

The "eggcorns" that the poem highlights are mostly misconceptions. Knowing how to pronounce words can be tuff. Culture evolves - not many of us know anything about the work of a tenter and stretching panels of fabric up on hooks.

The author of the poem is in the UK. Maybe that's why this line is a mystery to me. What do you suppose "You think like a damp squid" means?

Steve
That was just snark.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve
Hey! I found it on the intranet! A squib is a small explosive device, which would not explode when damp. So, kind of a dud, I guess?

Latest posts