Let's give "Charlon" our newest member a warm Welcome!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We look forward to reading about your experiences with herbs. Do you use them in cooking, medicinally, aromatherapy? I tend to grow them then don't know what to do with them. I love to grow and smell rosemary, but don't like it in food.

Charlon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am beginning to cook more with herbs. I have planted seeds of a few herbs I am cooking with. If they don't come up, I will buy some plants. I like rosemary, parsley, thyme, chives, basal and oregano.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what a definition would be for a culinary herb. I think it almost has to have something to do with their "quantity" in the food. Their food value is minor but their flavor has an important role.

Charlon lists chives and I agree but I use chives almost at a level to move them out of the herb category. Yes, they can be sprinkled on salad or baked potato. However, chives will be the first "vegetable" I harvest this year. A nice bunch of chives will go in a spring omelet!

I wish I would have a fresh jalapeno pepper to go with the chives and cheese but I will settle for a little frozen Thai Hot. Not much! Now, which is my herb - the bunch of chives or that little bit of pepper?

Steve