Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know what German Giant and Old German are, just tried the German Johnson and it is a winner! Are you growing the German Giant and Old German?
Sorry, I meant German Johnson, not German Giant. I always grow Old German for the beautiful color and large size. Their insides look about the same as the German Johnson.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant German Johnson, not German Giant. I always grow Old German for the beautiful color and large size. Their insides look about the same as the German Johnson.

I think they're closely related but not the exact same thing, but it's always possible. (Both bicolor tomatoes brought to the U.S. by German immigrant a long time ago. They may have started out as the same variety/very similar varieties and have gradually changed through the years.)

How are those Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes doing? Any crosses?

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think they're closely related but not the exact same thing, but it's always possible. (Both bicolor tomatoes brought to the U.S. by German immigrant a long time ago. They may have started out as the same variety/very similar varieties and have gradually changed through the years.)

How are those Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes doing? Any crosses?

They are doing well! I won't have any fruit until the end of July, maybe beginning of August. They are nice healthy plants.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got pictures of the Old German? Whole and sliced?

This is not my photo, just one I found online. The coloring slightly differs but looks to be the same type.

Attachments

• oldger.jpg
    oldger.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 168

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another Heirloom tomato for ya'll to consider. Introducing Paul Robeson, whose comments on Baker Creek runs into pages and pages of adulation. I am thinking maybe I missed something. My review is rather ho-hum. The coloring is described as a deep purple color, mine was light violet with very green shoulders. Thinking they weren't ripe, I let two rot. Oops. Anyway, here is their mug shots (or should I say plate shots?)

Tomato Paul Robe.jpg

Tomato Paul Robeson.jpg

The taste was good, but not over the top. I find the German Johnson and Cherokee Purple to be meatier and tastier. They are still my favorites! I probably won't grow Paul Robeson again.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another Heirloom tomato for ya'll to consider. Introducing Paul Robeson, whose comments on Baker Creek runs into pages and pages of adulation. I am thinking maybe I missed something. My review is rather ho-hum. The coloring is described as a deep purple color, mine was light violet with very green shoulders. Thinking they weren't ripe, I let two rot. Oops. Anyway, here is their mug shots (or should I say plate shots?)

View attachment 3251

View attachment 3252

The taste was good, but not over the top. I find the German Johnson and Cherokee Purple to be meatier and tastier. They are still my favorites! I probably won't grow Paul Robeson again.

I grew Paul Robeson last year and expected to love it, but wasn't overly impressed either. I don't think a one year growing is enough to establish whether to try it again or not, but when there are so many different varieties out there it's hard to not move on to something that might be more promising.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting. Your right the way people go on about Paul Robson you would think that the floor of Heaven opened up and that tomato fell to Earth for us mere mortals to enjoy.

I've never grown it either it's on my to grow list. I'm a big fan of Black Krim (a must grow variety in my garden) so will be curious to see how it compares.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smokey flavor? What does that mean? I want a clean flavor. If I want smokey, I'll smoke it.