Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In the annuals, it doesn't much matter how the meteorology folks classify our overall climate. What matters is our growing season weather.

During the summer, we join California and much of the West in a "Mediterranean" climate. With weeks without rain and low humidity, one might think that this would be ideal tomato country. The difference with places south and at lower elevations are the cool nights. Highs in the 90's just days ago have led us to this morning with temperatures in the 40's. No clouds throughout all of this, just too much wind. If I was a tomato, I'd pack my bags for Tuscany ... or, Sacratomato.

Early Mediterranean types, is what I think would do well here. We can't be too hard and fast to this notion but it's entertaining to a simple tomato head like me.

:) Steve
That's why I prefer the Sunset zones to the official zones. They take a lot more factors into consideration.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Geez I feel so subdued this year. The only heirlooms I planted were black Krim (a staple in my garden) and I'm giving Mr Stripey a go this year. Never had it but wanted to do something unique so I bought one figured nothing ventured nothing gained.

I've seen it available year after year so I figured nothing like the present to try it. The new baby has me busy so I didn't want to get crazy, so I stuck to 1 new variety this year which is enough for me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fathers are supposed to be calm and steady, @Jared77 ;.

At one time, there were 2 "Mr. Stripey." One was supposed to be a beefsteak of about 1#. The other is about 4 ounces and had a different name from some seed sources. They called it Tigerella and that name seems to have stuck. I've grown that one.

I don't have a single new-to-me variety this year :rolleyes: but I'm sure looking forward to some grow outs to see how they look and taste this year :D.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think this is the beef steak variety based on description. I usually don't grow big beef steak types but I figured it has to be worthwhile since the reputable nursery here keeps offering it.

Tigerella sounds good too. I prefer my tomatoes in the 4-6oz size since I feel I have more versatility with them and can use them up vs having a big slicer that I need to use since I cut on it. Just how we use them at our house.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Jared77 , we grew Mr. Stripey last year. They were delicious! A really pretty and productive tomato. I have some going this year too.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sad to say it but I have no tomatoes or peppers in my garden at all this year due to our drought. I don't feel right growing anything that needs that much water. I'm only growing a few greens.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@hoodat it just isn't fair. You have no water and Texas has floods. We are high and won't flood, but tomatoes split from too much rain, then scalded when the sun showed up. Getting more rain from tropical storm Bill now. My tomatoes are rotting before they ripen.

Salvaged what I could and am simmering some soup to can. I actually bought squash! ALL my squash plants of several varieties died. Wish I could send you a good soaking rain.

Latest posts