Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
geez, my smarty response got all mucked up. I accidentally imported a "Yea!" smiley face, then the "funny post" smiley went to the wrong place. I'll stop for now.:idunno

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
After reading all this I really, really want Cherokee Purple. if I had read this earlier I would have headed for the Farmer's Market this morning. I am also wondering what tomato will grow well for me because I do not have a lot of room. This year I do have things marked so I can find out how well they did produce and what they taste like. I have a lot that I planted just because they are early and I am going to find out if I like how they produce and what they taste like. I have Red Siberian and the plants look great. I have Early Girl and not OP, but I do like how they taste. I have Early Wonder, Legend, Celebrity, Bloody Butcher, 4th of July, Tasti Lee, San Marzano. I have some Pink Brandywine. I love the taste, but I never get many. I planted Delicious this year because my friend in Kansas had great luck with them last year. For cherry tomatoes I have Sweet 100, Sweet Baby Girl, Sun Gold, Sun Sugar, Gold Nugget, and Sweetie. I like all of them, but I am going to pay more attention and see actually how they produce and the taste.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For years I only grew half a dozen 'Celebrity' plants and two cherry tomatoes 'Cheerio' and 'Snow White'. Two years ago I thought I'd try a few heirlooms, 'Cherokee Purple',( were hooked on this one and grow it every year now). Also grew 3 italian heirlooms, 'Ernesto', 'Rinaldo' and 'Provenzano' needless to say I'm growing them again this year.

Well the bug has hit, I'm trying a few more for the first time, only one plant of each but hope to get a taste so I can decide which ones are going to become favorites. Here's what I have planted besides the ones already mentioned...
Black Mountain Pink
Black Seaman
Box Car Willie
Cherokee Green
Goldman's Italian American (heirloom?)
Goliath
Purple Calabash
Rio Fuego
Black Cherry
Cherokee Green Grape (cherry)

I'm growing most of them in buckets, started in february the plants are fairly big now have been flowering for awhile and I can see some small tomatoes in amongst the leaves. Now to patiently wait for that first tasty home grown tomato, I doubt very much it will even make it to the house :).

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of different varieties being grown amongst us. We will have to start a new "show us your tomato" thread for this year to make note of how they taste and how they did. I love to see pics of them too, especially sliced. :drool

Whoever gets the first ripe tomato gets the honor of starting the thread, ok!

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many cultivars I grow in a given year I always grow one oxheart type so I have tomatoes for sauce and sandwiches!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner, I know I can't beat baymule. She's in much hotter weather than me. Maybe someone in from the valley.

Mary

Latest posts