Lickbranchfarms 2020 Garden

Major nailed it...extended family. My house theirs 2 of us, then my daughters house, there is 3 of them, My sons house 2 of them, my mother in law, and 4 sister in laws and their families. I normally plant 8-10 rows over 100' long and sell 2-300 lbs every year along with canning and freezing, there is normally plenty but Im not going all out this year, i dont have time to keep up with it.

Some wicked weather rolled through here last night, wind blew hard, and rain coming down in buckets. Checked the garden this morning, my potato's got blew over They didn't break, just layed over so Im hoping when the sun pops out they stand back up, if not they have maybe another 4 weeks till harvest time.
The Okra i planted Tuesday seemed to fair OK, 1 row got washed out on the end, the others seem to be fine. Every thing else is loving the rain. I need to run through and fertilize the tomatoes, and peppers this weekend.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know last year i didn't have the trouble keeping everything watered like I have in the past, but I still want to look at some type of irrigation other than sprinklers. Not sure what yet but I'll come up with something.

I know I'm a little late to your game here but I bought one of these recently to test out and like what I've seen so far. My situation is finding something to put on both sides of my gravel bed (tree farm use) and then also to put into different spots for my garden. I wanted something that would be above the foliage and thus come down onto the plants instead of just smacking into their under-story from one side. Also, we're on well water, so little minerals and minor pieces of silt can find its way up and into standard sprinkler heads and thus just clog up :(

Like I said, so far so good from my minor tests, but I guess we'll see over the summer. I just need to purchase some 6' or bigger t-posts now to put a few of them onto.

T-Post Impact Sprinkler.
impact.jpg

Hit Tractor supply today during lunch for chicken feed, and noticed there were still a lot of canning supplies on the clearance isle (why i have no clue) but i loaded up on all the quart jars they had, and found 1 case of pints. Managed 3 gallons of vinegar and some salt, wont be long now and it will be canning season again. I missed it last year, didn't have a big garden like usual, and not a lot of room to store anything if we did can it, but now.....Katy bar the door Lol.

IMG_2218.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are SO SMART to pick these up. I have been given jars over the years. (For Some reason, some people think that you use the jar, wash the lid, turn it upside down and store it that way? :hu ) They go into the dishwasher before I will even Think to use them.
Anyway, I have quite a few jars, bought on sale/clearance.
DD's have been making layered salad lunches in pint/quart sized that they "borrowed" from me. ANY kind of food can be stored in them. If you find solid lids, you can store dehydrated foods in them bc they don't require the kind of seal the canning does. You can also store rice, pasta, ANYTHING that comes in a plastic bag that might break in your pantry.
WM carries 1/2 gallon jars, a little bit harder to water bath, but it can be done.
MULTIPLES of uses.
BTW, when empty I thorough wash the jar and lid, put a brand new replacement lid on it, and store it in it's original box bagged up with a garage bag to keep off the dust.
These:
SOMEBODY is making a bundle of these, BUT you can search for cheaper lids and make your own.
Can't find a picture, BUT, I found these 1/4 pint Ball Storage Only jars, 4 pack, at WM for about $6
DD"s and I have been dehydrating herbs and things, and these are great storage for smaller sizes.

Last edited:

I have a friend i work with that bought a house and in the basement he said they were literally 100's of mason jars with canned food still in them. Me being me I had to ask, well what did it taste like, of coarse i get the "how the H@#$ should i know look Lol. I then ask him.... well can i have the jars when you empty them Lol.

I too have a lot of jars I have saved over the years, but i am of a state of mind one can never have enough jars. Electrical contractor i worked with said his wife bought literally cases of 1/2 pint jars to make candles with. Once she lost interest he ask if i was interested, i said how much....2 bucks? Bring me all you got... he brought me 12 cases....Thats what i use for my Jalapenos and banana peppers. Just enough for 2 people, and doesn't take up a lot of room in the fridge. Jams and jellies....great Christmas presents for our clan..

Last edited by a moderator:

Spent this weekend working on clearing some land for the new goat pasture. Got up Friday morning dead set on knocking out 2 big sweet gum trees, managed to get 1 on the ground before the wind picked up, decided to hold off on the other till the wind layed down, I dont want to send this one through my new barn Lol.
We went and looked at a Young Billy to breed with our doe, ended up bringing him home. Haven't put a name on him yet but hes a good looking goat. Our other Billy "butter bean" is a dwarf Nigerian, our breeder has a doe that kidded a few weeks ago, her two does should be ready to go soon, we'll be picking up a couple of does to breed with him next year, then we can start the milking process on those does.
Looks like my cabbage have started to make heads, i fertilized them good before this last big rain, Im going to wait a week and hit them again, hopefully i can get a good harvest on these before it gets to hot. Everything else in the garden is doing good, I got blooms on my tomatoes and on my squash already so fingers crossed.
I also got my sweet potatoes in the ground, they delivered Friday and after soaking all night in water, i plugged them in Saturday morning, i got a video im putting together now i'll post later.
IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2226.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: